NO Throttle response !

GoldenMotor.com

motoman46

Apr 21, 2016
Los Angeles
Throttle PRoblem!! I got my nephew a flying horse 5G 49cc engine kit . put it on the bike .It started right up . Idles well but has absolutely ZERO throttle response . The throttle cable moves the spring attached to carb just fine . Moves easily with my finger as well but not even the slightest bit of idle change . Any Ideas ?? i did order another carb and installed that one but same thing , nothing ...
Im new to the forum but could really use some help.Thanks everybody

Last edited:

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Not familiar with 4 strokes. But I would look at the twist control at the handlebars and be sure the barrel end of the cable is properly inserted into its place in the grip. 4 strokers will respond.

motoman46

Apr 21, 2016
Los Angeles
Thanks Agreen !, ill check that in the morning . when i move the throttle spring on top of the carb with my hand itt still doesn't rev .. hmm

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Looking at pictures of the engine have you tried moving the butterfly by hand? Remove the air filter, open the choke, and operate the butterfly by hand to see if it opens. Do this of course with out the engine running.

motoman46

Apr 21, 2016
Los Angeles
Hi Greg58 ,
Thanks for the help !
I haven't looked at the butterfly through the air filter yet but I did remove the first carb that was on there and the throttle spring seems to works fine . Choke lever opens and closes carb too with no trouble.. Even after replacing with a new carb the same thing happens ... The throttle cable and throttle seem to move fine too . I turn the throttle , cable moves the spring on top of carb . Doesn't seem to be any more adjustment on the cable to be made . Everything appears to function but NO CHANGE with idle . .wierd

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't know if that engine has a governor lever or not that could be keeping the butter fly from opening. The butterfly controls air flow into the engine, it's nothing more than a small door. The wider you open it the more air passes through the carb and draws fuel from the carb bowl.

Apr 22, 2016
Bozeman Montana
Check to make sure that the throttle cable is attached to the slide in the carburetor correctly. The slide is what allows the air to flow and increase air/fuel. If you have any questions give me a call at 406-586-5970 and I can help you out!