Help with choosing motor

GoldenMotor.com

4runneradam

Jan 28, 2013
cincinnati ohio
I've always wanted to build a motorized bike, on the cheap.

Just wondering which motor to use. I'd like to find a vintage looking bike and mount it in the frame.

First off, I have a Toro snowblower with a Tecumseh AH600 motor. Specs are 3.5hp and 98cc. In the snowblower, its got a v-belt pulley.

Second choice, is a 1960 something homelite super xl automatic chainsaw motor, 58cc, 3.3hp @ 7800rpm, 10,500rpm max. Centrifugal clutch. Magnesium die cast construction. 32:1 mix.

What would be a better choice?

The tecumseh motor would look cooler, just not sure how to get a clutch and chain setup on it.

chainsaw already has a clutch, and ive seen someone on here grind the teeth off to fit a standard chain.

Now can I just run the chain right off the chainsaw onto like a 10 speed bike?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If the tecumseh motor has a 5/8 keyed shaft, there are several transmissions that will fit. In order to know what gear ratio you want to run, you'll need to know how many rpms it makes. The more rpms, the more reduction you'll need to get a good balance between speed and hill climbing.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
You can talk to the guys at EZ Motorbike. The Qmatic trans they have might mount to that. I would also talk to the guys at Affordable Go Karts and see if they might have one that would work.

4runneradam

Jan 28, 2013
cincinnati ohio
Add another motor to the mix. Forgot I had it. Too many damn projects :) Its a tecumseh H35 3.5hp 156cc 4 stroke. Bigger is better, right? 4 stroke would be quiter and more efficient?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Are you building for off road or racing purposes? If you intend to ride on the public roadways then check your local laws. Sounds like you've got nice things in mind for your bike. It would be a shame to get it impounded.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I went with an AH600 for my build and you can check it out on the link below under the Wasp link. I think that either the AH600 or the H35 would be the better of the 3 to choose from. If your H35 has a carb on it that has idle mix valves I would use it for which ever of the two Tecumseh engines you use. Hope this helps you some.

4runneradam

Jan 28, 2013
cincinnati ohio
This will be used for general use around the neighborhood and campground, as well as my 2 mile drive to work sometimes.

I was thinking the H35 might be a better choice due to it being a quieter 4 stroke and larger displacement.

The AH600 might be worth $200? Hmm...might have to clean it up and sell it :)

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
This will be used for general use around the neighborhood and campground, as well as my 2 mile drive to work sometimes.

I was thinking the H35 might be a better choice due to it being a quieter 4 stroke and larger displacement.

The AH600 might be worth $200? Hmm...might have to clean it up and sell it :)
Hate to tell you the AH600 is no where near the value of $200. You can find them all over the place for dirt cheap either in or out of the snow blowers that the are used in allot. A month ago I could have bought a fourth one that was in a working snow blower for $50.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I agree with Dorcothered thats way to high for that motor. Although i have seen them as low as $5 in swap meets. I don't have any right now but in the summer garage sales and swap meets will bring them in. Check out cregs list up in this area and you might find them...............Curt

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Some of these motors on Ebay could be expensive boat anchors.
You guys should consider fixing/cleaning them up. Make a MB for
a testbed. Make a video. Sell them to warm weather guys that can't
find them on Craigslist.

Striped down, these motors are the most powerful package that
could possibly pass as a 49cc IMHO.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Go back to page 1 you can see Dracothered's engine that he bought from me. Work in progress.Its turning out to be a awesome motorbike.

I keep a eye out every time i go to swapmeet and sales. I would like to get everyone that goes to the recycling center but they won't let anyone snoop,used to be able to..............Curt

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Some of these motors on Ebay could be expensive boat anchors.
You guys should consider fixing/cleaning them up. Make a MB for
a testbed. Make a video. Sell them to warm weather guys that can't
find them on Craigslist.

Striped down, these motors are the most powerful package that
could possibly pass as a 49cc IMHO.
I have used alot of the ah 600's they have always passed for 49 cc, heck you strip a jacobsen down and theyll pass too. any of you guys down in Dixie that want a good running one let me know, ill ship one out to you.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have used alot of the ah 600's they have always passed for 49 cc, heck you strip a jacobsen down and theyll pass too. any of you guys down in Dixie that want a good running one let me know, ill ship one out to you.
Have you ever shaved the fins off of the flywheel on one of the AH600's?

4runneradam

Jan 28, 2013
cincinnati ohio
Sounds like the AH600 will be the best choice. The H35 might be too large and look funny, and Johnny Law would never pass it as 49cc, where as the AH600 he probably would.

I'll save the H35 for a mini go cart for my 5yo daughter :)

Also thinking about either a Huffy Cranbrook build or the 29' chrome gx7 genesis bike from walmart

Last edited: