Anybody done this?

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Now most of ya'll have no idea how "redneck" I am. Well Norman knows. Any body ever used a 110 volt motor on a bike and hauled a gas powered generator around on a deacon type trailer to power the motor? I'm trying to push the limits here in Texas.........................:D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Naw!!! Petey
WE charge off into projects with reckless abandonment. I'll have to see of I can get you a 3/4 hp motor. Wanted to say 25 to 50 but you would have trouble mounting and holding it up.( I'm kidding) The old lady is going to throw away a sewing machine and it has a pedal speed control you could sew your way across town.( sound of a woundout sewing machine)

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Yea a sewing machine pedal would make a great speed control. Norman you get back from Florida we are going to have to do some monster building.rotflrotflOh this should be my 50th post. I get to be a senior bike builder now..................

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Over the hill.
Rufus is cleaning up the shop and tryin to drag the machine into the shop now.
He loves monsters.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am so ashamed of my master bike builder title. I keep looking over my shoulder. I feel like someone is going to come arrest me for impersonation of a real builder.

Also if a 350 watt motor will run you up to 15mph, I wonder what a 1500 watt one will do. that would be a 110 volt 12 amp motor not all that big an engine. I like the concept though. Gasoline engine running a generator not a bike. they have some 2 cycle engine on ebay for like fifty bucks. Plus im sure there are free lawn mower engines all over the place.

God I have got to learn to weld.

ps im told any brush type motor is also a generator. If you spin it, the input wires will output electricity. So you could get a second brush motor like your bike motor and use it as the generator. At least that seems right. lots of used appliance store probably have motors. Not to mention all the dead window air conditioners laying around.

Last edited:

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Keep an eye on Craigslist. As the weather starts to warm up there will be plenty of lawnmowers and weedwhackers listed in the free section. Lots of good raw materials for monster builds can be found there:D

ebikehub

Feb 25, 2008
the hybrid motor system seems to be on a lot of peoples minds. It would probably have to be pretty pricey for a few reasons.
1. You wouldn't get away with a lead acid battery, you need to run a generator for four to six hours to charge those babies. It might extend the range, but it won't continuously charge. Therefore think of a Lifepo4 of NimH setup (priuses use NimH)
2. You will need a decent generator for the voltage to charge the batteries. This will add weight and slow you down.
3. Regenerative braking should be strongly considered. A kit like Bionix would be helpful for this but also expensive. Hopefully all of the charging you would gain by trying to slow the trailer with a big generator would be beneficial.

Thats all
let us know how it goes though, I think their are quite a few of these projects underway. I'd like to see one turn out well.

ebikehub.

www.ebikehub.com

The grand central station for electric bike information.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Ebikehub
I'll have to check out your link better my brother in law wants go electric and the link you have might just push him over and get him to go for it.
Thanks for the link.
And welcome to the forum. I don't know if you have visited other forums or not but we don't demand you give an intro. again welcome and hope you have a good time while on this forum.
Norman