Harnessing Exhuast Heat

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Guten Tag to the forums! My latest idea is harnessing exhaust heat and using it for heating a travel mug! As fall descends upon rainy Portland, the usually unwelcome exhaust heat becomes my best friend while idling at stoplights, and I thought I could put it to a better use! If I was to redo my exhaust with a V split in it, I could route some of the exhaust to a smaller, coiled copper tube that would wrap around the cup holder on the bike. Using a steel travel mug, the heat would transfer from the coiled copper tubing to the mug, thus warming the liquids inside and keeping it toasty for a long, cold ride! I also suspect that if I was to run all my exhaust through tubing in this fashion, my bike would become VERY VERY quiet, a possible positive double whammy! Thoughts?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds plausible to me! I'd split the exhaust though...running it all through a coil could restrict it too much for decent power.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Sounds plausible to me! I'd split the exhaust though...running it all through a coil could restrict it too much for decent power.
stinger pipe heater? Then again the end of my exhaust doesn't get very hot, in fact when my roommate was using it, when it fell off his bike he'd hold the silencer all the way home, but its the only way I can think of to get useful power while still producing heat.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
in the 60s I used to have a bent coat hanger to hang a can of soup against the exhaust pipe - the need to stir it so it didn't burn on one side meant parking and running at idle till hot tho

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Exhaust split sounds good to me! I suppose the very end doesn't get very hot, but my hope is that a smaller pipe will help focus the heat through the entire coil. Haha don't worry, I understand that a two horsepower magneto couldn't power a medium size electric motor, let alone a watt-sucking heater!