NOOB question

GoldenMotor.com

sdjosh

Mar 2, 2009
solana beach, ca
im such a noob here, its not even funny. I just started looking for my first pedal moped a little while ago, but i don't know exactly what kind to get. I've done some searching online, they can be tough to find. Any direction or advice on where to look and what the best buy is, would be greatly appreciated.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey josh,

You need to let us know more about what you need and expect of your future motorized bike.
Living in the hills or flat ground makes a difference.

So does your preference for mild-mannered putting around....rd.

or EXTREME power..wee..

sdjosh

Mar 2, 2009
solana beach, ca
i apologize, i forgot to mention those things, i live on mostly flat ground right on the coast, in Solana Beach, Ca. Power doesnt matter too much to me, just something to get me around probably a total of ten miles a day. I would just like to know what my best option is as far as reliability and accessability of replacement parts. Thank you all for the help.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It all depends on how much you want to spend. You use the word Moped, is that because you don't want one of these bicycle kits? You can start at a couple of hundred bucks and go in the $1000 range or even higher. There is also 4-stroke and 2 stroke, 2- stroke being cheaper but louder. 4-strokes also last longer but are not as easy to repair.
"Mopeds" can cost more and have to be driven as if you were driving a motorcycle while we on our "bikes" can bend the rules.
Let us know what you would like and we can go from there.

sdjosh

Mar 2, 2009
solana beach, ca
Thank you all for the support, i would be very interested in a motorized bicycle i just am uncertain about the DIY kit engines you can buy. How difficult are they to install? Do they come with absolutely every part you will need? Which brand or model do you guys favor in terms of something that will do 20 to 25 mph and be reliable. I weight like 140lbs so i wont need anything over the top powerful. Thanks again guys

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Just have a look at the ads on the sides of this page. Try to make your US money work for you if you can. All the kits come with everything you need and can be installed in a day or so.

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio
This forum will help with the first build better than any instructions and you can feel good about building something. Any questions can be answered here and I would reccomend a kit over a moped. Upgrades are available and parts are everywhere compared to a moped. 2 or 4 stroke is a hard one and it comes down to money for me. I'm sure both are fun. I ride to work and love my two stroke.

Schwinn92

Mar 2, 2009
Charlotte
Thnx sdjosh, i got a question similar 2 yours. I just got an O.C.C. Schwinn Stingray, and I would like to know a good place in Charlotte NC that can install a motor. I cant do it myself bc im not good at diy projects. Also, can anyone recommend a quality motor thats good with speed and strength?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the forum....you CAN install it yourself, even if you aren't good with DIY projects.

pretty much any two stroke kit is the same, look for low price and low or no shipping costs.
All the advice you'll need is right here.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
a multi speed mountain bike 26inch is a great way for a noob to get started , the frame works great and the multispeed will get you home if you should have an engine problem .:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thank you all for the support, i would be very interested in a motorized bicycle i just am uncertain about the DIY kit engines you can buy. How difficult are they to install? Do they come with absolutely every part you will need? Which brand or model do you guys favor in terms of something that will do 20 to 25 mph and be reliable. I weight like 140lbs so i wont need anything over the top powerful. Thanks again guys

Your requirements are simple and basic. A 1.25hp Subaru or Honda engine with 1.125" friction roller would suffice. The kit is easy to install in less than 2 hours..bld.