Full power rev when clutch is pulled

GoldenMotor.com

mynakedrat

Oct 28, 2013
milwaukee
First post guys.
My new engine has been broken in now, but most recently When i pull the clutch in, the engine just gives full throttle. It accelerates fine, but i have to use kill switch to slow down (which i know isnt good. )
Starts fine, although doesnt have much compression until fifty feet or more. Has awesome power, just a little high pitched whine at full throttle (and seems like more power then? the engine sounds like it has two speeds)
I removed the cylinder for the carb, it moves freely. and my throttle opens and closes fine
Is it the idle screw?

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
air leak...start the bike and spray carb cleaner at every joining surface, head to cyl, cyl to bottom end and carb to intake, intake to cyl...

if it changes tone or stutters or shuts off means a leak

plus you might wanna check the c clip position on the carb needle...

if this dont help, come back fer more instructions

mynakedrat

Oct 28, 2013
milwaukee
Word ! thanks man. Ill check tonight. I had an idea to check the clip. I thought the choke was getting stuck open? Leaks make sense. There is a lot to check. I guess that comes with breaking in a new engine.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Word ! thanks man. Ill check tonight. I had an idea to check the clip. I thought the choke was getting stuck open? Leaks make sense. There is a lot to check. I guess that comes with breaking in a new engine.
What engine? What carburetor?
The choke is supposed to be open. You only close it for starting the engine then after several seconds it should be wide open. If you're running with the choke closed or partially closed you have a major air (vacuum) leak somewhere, if we're talking about a Chinese 2 stroke engine.

Tom

mynakedrat

Oct 28, 2013
milwaukee
Its a chinese two stroke. I only have the choke on for starting, yes. I was able to start and let it sit in idle last night, but i had no carb cleaner or starter fluid to test the air leak. It doesnt rev up to full throttle i found out, but its way to high of an idle definitely.
The card is the one that has a little black clamshell at the end, that faces the ground.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
can use water to test for an air leak-its safer.spraying flammables (explosive ones at that) can be risky business if gas tank has any sort of leak.

$0.02

mynakedrat

Oct 28, 2013
milwaukee
The leak was where the carb conencts to the carb tube. I got that tightened and adjusted the idle down, works just fine now guys, thanks for all the help!

.shft.

Last edited: