Strange Problem - Engine slows down after mile

GoldenMotor.com

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
Okay so I have tested the changes several times. Air leak after a while...might be by the carb throat. I am going to put more Seal All over it to see if that stops the leak. My float seems to be getting stuck, so I'll have to check out the carb tomorrow if the fuel keeps overflowing. For now, I have the fuel shut off from the valve to stop it when the bike is off.

Definite improvement, though

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Check your gas cap to make sure its venting properly . When your engine starts acting up like you said , crack open the gas cap for second or two and if its goes back to normal I don't think you know what it is .. Also check the head that it torque to spec.
ya beat me to it HD.The cap vent can get clogged. It took me an hour to figure it out the first time it happend to me. It runs for a few minutes, then starts losing power, crack the cap open and it runs great again.
Fatdaddy.

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
I have actually been meaning to post what has been going on. I try cracking open the gas cap whenever I have the problem, but without any luck. I am leaning towards saying that this is now air-leakage. I've gotten quite a bit more power when the bike is cold. Once it warms up and runs for a few miles, the engine will bog down. When I disengage the clutch, the engine revs by itself. Since it isn't happening as frequently as it used to, I can deal with it for now. I think that, at this point, it is the carb throat leaking. I'll be sealing it with Seal All better than I have it right now and will post the results.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Metal expands when hot, making the leak larger, So,I think I agree, It's a air leak.NOW ya just gotta find it. Take a squeezbottle of water and drizzle it on both sides of the intake manifold while the engine is running, if the engine slows or stops, you have found the leak. It's a easy FREE air leak test. Just dont let yer lady catch you dumping out the catsup bottle in the sink just for the bottle, I'm STILL catching crap about that one.
Fatdaddy.

neum5464

Jun 13, 2013
Huntington Beach
It sounds like one of your major problems is engine heat. Are you still running the stock exhaust pipe? If so you are putting a lot of backpressure on the engine as that pipe is designed for 4strokes. I would suggest getting a new exhaust pipe, one that has a 2stroke expansion chamber. If you don't want to get a new pipe, you can modify the stock one to relieve the backpressure issue. If you take off the bottom cap you can cut the metal tube as close as you can to the base. I do this to all stock exhaust and my bikes run better until my expansion chambers arrive. I also drill 2 or 3 holes in the cap to get a little better sound (but not too loud). If engine heat is still an issue, I would suggest getting high temp silicone gasket gel/goop/stuff, I used it as a gasket enhancer on my gp50 because the gasket had a dent in it from a machining error from the factory. The silicone fills the gaps in the existing gasket and I have heard of people using just the silicone as the only gasket. You can find it at most auto parts stores.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Just for kicks remove magneto cover and make sure there is no fuel mix residue or liquid around or under magnet. Probably no problem , but does not hurt to check. In my experience a very small leak at the mag seal can be ghostly because the engine will still start when cold.

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
Hey Maniac,

I know it's been a while, but I was in a store the other day and saw an aluminum food tray and it said, "Roaster Pan" and at that moment it hit me that you meant one of those. I have no clue how I could have not realized that. What thickness do you use for making gaskets such as an intake or bottom head gasket? Thanks a lot

vinnie

May 24, 2009
Washington DC
Neum,

Thanks for letting me know about that. You sold me on the expansion chamber. As of right now, I need to replace a broken upper piston bearing. When that is all fixed, I'll be looking into the expansion chamber.

Skitchfish,

Thanks for the tip...I am going to check it and see

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hey Maniac,

I know it's been a while, but I was in a store the other day and saw an aluminum food tray and it said, "Roaster Pan" and at that moment it hit me that you meant one of those. I have no clue how I could have not realized that. What thickness do you use for making gaskets such as an intake or bottom head gasket? Thanks a lot
The thickest ones I can find. But any size will work in a pinch.
Easy to shape and cut too.