Painting the motor?

GoldenMotor.com

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, I want to do this project in the next couple of days on my bike, I want it all flat black'd out. But im wondering if the motor can be sprayed too so i can save hours of my time? And just wrapping what i don't want sprayed in cloths . Is this a good idea? is there a special paint for motors? Can i just use regular flat black Spray?

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I want to do this project in the next couple of days on my bike.

im wondering if the motor can be sprayed too so i can save hours of my time? And just wrapping what i don't want sprayed in cloths . Is this a good idea? is there a special paint for motors? Can i just use regular flat black Spray?
First off, your not going to build a safe one of these in a "Couple of days" Cause your new. And if your waiting on answers from us, you may wanna extend that clock a little.

As to your question, I would suggest going with a normal paint especially if your on a budget. The problem with that, is that it will scratch and flake off.

I've had a little experience with "VHT primer and enamel" found at autozones/orielys and it seems like the paint is a little tougher but not impervious to scratches, it is good with fuel spills though.

so to your question, yes, you can use regular paint, but it will scratch off eventually and if gas gets on it, you can expect to have to repaint it.

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
For paint, I would not recommend any regular rattle-can/spray-can paint on the engine. It will not withstand the heat the engine produces. I would go with either high-temperature BBQ paint from Wal-Mart or go to an auto store and get a can of engine enamel. Either of these will work perfect. The engine enamel will resist fuel and oil, the BBQ paint may or may not.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
i've painted hundreds of engines from harleys to tractors! if you wanna do it right you should sandblast it first then use two pack paint i.e it comes in two packs 1paint 1chemical hardener.if you just want matt black and wanna do it cheaply i'd sand as much as you can with 180 grit sandpaper then a few light coats of bbq paint or else a matt black etch primer.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Thanks so much guys really helped me out, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to mess anything up on it when i paint it. I am probably just going to get some heat resistant paint for it,

And Master Shake.. I don't know what kind of vibe you were trying to send with your post, but i built my bike a while back and by project i meant painting it ... not building it. Thanks for the info tho!

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Also do you guys know a place were i can get all the tools for a motorized bicycle? I have basic tools, but it would be nice to get a tool kit or something and have all new tools that i know for sure are correct.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I like this, Dupli-Color Engine Enamel, Low Gloss Black DE1634. It's very resistant to fuel spills. 500 degree

I just blocked off the holes I didn't want paint in, and sprayed the whole motor at one time.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Black objects radiate heat more effectively than shiny ones so if you keep the thickness of the paint minimal then it may help with cooling slightly.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Black objects radiate heat more effectively than shiny ones so if you keep the thickness of the paint minimal then it may help with cooling slightly.
Ditto:
That's the reason most race engines are black, especially long distance racers like NASCAR. The black surface dissipates heat better than others, especially shiny ones like polished aluminum or chrome. They're the worst and getting rid of engine heat.

Tom