1st Build GT LTS Full Suspension/Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I plan on building a nice motorized bicycle for myself this summer,,already have frame,,just need two alloy wheels 26"if you know anywhere I can get a good set cheap?

Thanks Tom :)

agcat111

Mar 28, 2013
Utah
Every one... not everyone...but a whole lot...probably a majority of builders are using illegal motors.. for street use....Maybe you need to go to Sick Bike Parts and get a sticke that reads....49cc...if you get stopped might help?

We need to get a lobbying effort goin to raise the cc limit to 100cc...after all there are a lot of hils to be climbed.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The law in California is a horse power limit and not cc's although my second build is a 50cc. In my area I dont think they care about anything other than dont go over 30mph and dont be a problem. A lot of my riding is on dirt where I can go full tilt if I feel the need.

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
My stock China Girl 67cc.44 tooth goes like a 49cc.moped anyway,,I just keep it under 25 and they dont care so far.Jersey considers a moped a bicycle with a helper motor 49cc 1.5 HP,,they want it registered and insured,,problem is i have no title to register it,,or vin # to get a title,,i cant register a bicycle.Cant even get insurance unless it has a vin#.Alot of guys went to court after getting tickets on motorized bicycle here and they throw it out,,grey area.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
There are a few areas of the California law that are grey also. Like the engine size limit is in horse power instead of size, how are they supposed to police that? Other parts of the law contradicts itself. Im just glad they arent banned altogether, and actually a little surprised they havent banned them........yet.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Enjoy it while it lasts..hopefully after they ban them,,they will issue a license for $ to those who want to ride a motorized bicycle. In Jersey if you have a regular driver license you can operate a moped,,I have a class A CDL with motorcycle endorsement so hopefully they will get the 2010 proposal through here..if not,,it aint slowing me down any...

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
i just got my full suspension with the gx35 on it running good. it would be fun to race you even tho im really underpowered. mine tops out at around 30 on a flat. it looks totaly different then the picture i have of it. waiting for paint to finish it then ill post it on the internet and make everyone jelous..

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I checked out your thread and left a reply there. I would like to race or ride with somebody, I ride every day by myself but my son called me and if I get my second bike done in time he is gonna ride my other bike and we may go to the motorized bicycle race this June, he will run in the China girl class and I will run in the Mid class with the new KTM clone bike......WOOOOOT!

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Well after about 4 gallons of riding time I took off the Puch head. At first it showed no signs of problems. I was worried that the compression would be too high and make it hard to pedal start (being a shifter setup you dont just drop the clutch to bump start) but it was fine at first. I was also worried that it would ping but at first it didnt do that either.

I guess the engine was still breaking in and the compression slowly got higher and higher and it finally became too hard to pedal start, it was like it was locked up. It also started to ping and run hotter so I took the head off and lost 2-3 mph but it became easier to start again again stopped pinging and ran cooler again. I was even running 2 head gaskets and I dont want to go to 3-4 head gaskets.

Also the other day I put on some CST 26x2.4 road tires and went out for a test ride. The tires are much bigger but had no chain interference problems but for who knows what reason the chain came off and tangled in the rear spokes and wiped out a rear wheel on the first ride with those tires about 4 blocks from home. I pulled the tires off and went to smaller 2.1 street tires in case they were the cause, I saw n reason for it to happen but I cant have that happen again.

Since I use 2nd gear for standing starts I adjusted the rear derailleur so it wont go into first gear and possibly jump over 1st gear and into the spokes in case that was the cause even though the derailleur is adjusted right. My son and I are going to the June 1 race and I dont want to have even a chance of that happening on race day, but I will bring a spare rear wheel just in case.

Other than that the first build has been great and my Son will run it in the beginner class and I will run the KTM bike in the Mid range class for the June 1 race. Since my Son weighs 170 lbs he will be faster and quicker than I am on that bike since I weigh 210lbs and they dont have a buffalo class.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just realized that we have the same bike. It's actually a LTS STS. The best investment I've added to the bike was upgrading the rear shock. It has a Risse Racing rear shock. The biggest difference was the rebound and dampening. Before the shock would want to spring back hard when the shock was depressed. You can also call Risse Racing and they can set up the shock according to your weight and riding style. I gave this bike to my son so I lowered it an inch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I just realized that we have the same bike. It's actually a LTS STS. The best investment I've added to the bike was upgrading the rear shock. It has a Risse Racing rear shock. The biggest difference was the rebound and dampening. Before the shock would want to spring back hard when the shock was depressed. You can also call Risse Racing and they can set up the shock according to your weight and riding style. I gave this bike to my son so I lowered it an inch.
I thought the STS was the carbon fiber frame. My shock doesnt have a hard rebound yet and its got the 800 spring which I believe is the highest rate they made for that shock. My other LTS doesnt have the deluxe shock so I may upgrade that one.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Well both bikes have been race tested at the June 1 race at Grange Raceway, my son was gonna race in the amateur class on my first build and I would race the mid range class on the KTM build. My son told me for my birthday he would take me to the race since I dont trust my truck on that long of a trip, coolest birthday ever!

The day started with some minor, carb problem with the RT carb on my sons bike, so I swapped it for the Speed carb and the problem seemed to have gone away. I live near sea level and the track is at 3400 ' so I didnt expect to have to change jets with that small of a change and the carb problem didnt seem to be a top end problem and couldnt be a pilot needle problem since the RT is a flat slide and doesnt have a pilot needle.

The problem seemed to have gone away and my son made several practice laps in 3-4 practice runs and the bike seemed fine. I was worried that the center of gravity would be too high on our bikes since I built them for dirt riding but both bikes handled very well!

Then my son went out for the warm up lap of heat race #1 and he pedaled back in saying the engine made a terrible noise and quit running. I fired it up and it was obvious that it was a blown top end so I pulled the cylinder and saw it was a broken top ring and the cylinder was destroyed, that bike was done for the day. All was not lost, I hurt myself in the 2nd heat race and my son ran the final on the KTM bike.

I mentioned earlier in this build thread that I put on a Puch high compression head but later pulled it off before it hurt something in the engine as it later started to ping and just had way too much compression even with 2 head gaskets, Im pretty sure thats where the damage started, after changing back to the stock head I stopped riding the bike to save it for race day not knowing it had stressed the top end.

The bike my son was riding is my first buiild but I had decided while building my second build that I would give the first build to my son as a surprise. I was gonna surprise my son at the end of the race day when we got back home and unloaded the bikes I was gonna ask him why he was unloading his bike, didnt he want to take it home with him?

But since the engine was toast I didnt want to give him a blown up bike so I didnt tell him about the surprise and I figured I would fix it and surprise him the next time he come down to visit. But I saw he posted he was gonna build a bike and I decided to call him and let him know the bike was his and he didnt have to build one. He told me he would build one anyway.

Now I have an engine ordered with a new lighter balanced crank to replace the original engine and my son is hooked and is planning to come down for the October race, he will take that bike home after that race.

We had a great time racing and we are hooked!

Heres a couple clips of the races, the first is my second heat race with a crash and the second is my 1st heat race. I will post the clips from my son riding the 1st build in practice and riding the KTM in the main after he posts them.

2nd heat race crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_j5y9XDyKw

1st heat race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFXHfDJtQwc

Last edited:

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
seems like several people have had that issue with the puch head. Maybe it would work if you replaced other weak components at the same time as changing the head? I dont know, i have the cr machine head on my arrow and it runs fine.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The balanced/ lightened crank engine from Dax came today and I started to put it in but my hand/shoulder gave up. I will prolly finish it tomorrow and fire it up for the first time.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
First smoke and first ride today!!! I am very happy with my first build so far.

Fired up on the 3rd try but flamed out because I was going too slow and didnt get the clutch in in time. Once it fired up I rode around in the back yard doing figure 8's then went out front on the street. I shifted a few times and went up the hill my street is on, its pretty steep but 2nd gear was no problem.

I went with the stock pipe for now since Im just breaking in the engine and running 20:1 so power doesnt matter yet and it gives me more time to decide exactly how and where Im gonna mount the SBP pipe.

I put on the new wheels/disc brakes after the first ride and it stops great. The second ride was my little dirt farm road/trail daily ride, I still havent hit high gear yet or sustained any speed but I did a steep dirt road in first gear and had to help by pedaling. I did some slow manuevering around some trees, hit the berm on the trail and even the ski jump but I didnt get any air yet.

Then it happened.........I ran out of gas. I didnt put much in just in case there was a leak and didnt figure I would go far but I couldnt help myself!

I had to pedal about 3/4 mile to get back home, I was wondering how hard these things would be to pedal since theres so many chains, and sprockets, not to mention you have to pedal thru the clutch even tho its pulled in it adds to the drag. It wasnt to bad to pedal engine off but I wouldnt want to go too far.

Overall so far this thing is great! Smoooooooth ride!

Bill this thing is awesome! Perfect all around build! The dual suspension must be a dream aha.
But i was wondering, the down tube diameter is 1.5" right?
And the U-Bolt is more than strong enough, correct??

I might have to do a 1.5" downtube build myself...
Isn't this mount somewhat overkill?
http://www.mmbikeparts.com/category-s/114.htm

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... that's one vicious bike and I'm thinking he's upgraded to either a Morini or KTM engine since that pic was taken... If this is the bike I'm thinking about it's one mean ride.