Wierd issue that I can't figure out.

GoldenMotor.com

rinoaa52r

Jul 22, 2012
Southern Illinois
Stock 66cc and nt carb. When I pull the clutch out to let it idle to goes to a high rev for a couple of seconds before it goes to idle speed. Also every once in a while when I pull out the clutch it goes wot all on it's own and the only way I can get it to stop so it doesn't do any damage to motor is either let clutch back in or hit the kill switch. I have an O ring in between the carb and intake. If someone could help me I'd be very grateful.

:-||

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Either you have an air (vacuum) leak at the intake manifold/carburetor or some other place or your throttle is sticking. The slide or barrel in the carb might not be returning smoothly to the idle position. Remove the air filter and watch the barrel as you twist the throttle and release it. The barrel should move smoothly up and down and close off the carb throat almost completely at idle. Just a tiny gap will show at the bottom depending on how far in the idle screw is.

You want no sharp bends or kinks in the throttle cable. Don't tie it down tightly to the frame. Also the plastic pully inside the twist grip is notorious for having rough edges, mold flash, that can cause binding and won't allow the cable to wide and unwind smoothly around it. Check it and lubricate the moving parts with a silicone based grease.
Check these things and let us know what you find. There are other things we can explore.
Good luck.

Tom

rinoaa52r

Jul 22, 2012
Southern Illinois
Ok checked throttle cable and it is moving properly. Just checked spark plug and it indicates that it is running too lean. Running Opti-2 oil at 1 packet of 1.8oz oil to 1 gallon of gas.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
you need to adjust your needle clip position. move it down a notch at a time until you get the right plug color. opti 2 is universal mix, so there is no need to add more oil to your fuel.

rinoaa52r

Jul 22, 2012
Southern Illinois
When I hit wot it lags for a second like it is gonna die the rpm goes way up when I let go the rpm does not go back to idle immediatly. It waits for a few seconds before going back to idle. sometimes when I let the throttle go it continues to rev up and the only way to stop it is to kill it.