52 Tooth Steel Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Does anyone know of anyone who sells a 52 tooth steel sprocket?

I have a 48 (came with the kit) and a 56 tooth sprocket. The 8 tooth difference between them is more than I would like. So I'm looking for a 'happy medium' or a 52 tooth steel sprocket.

I looked at the sprockets at King's and they are very nice. Problem is they're about twice what I want to spend on one.

So, can anyone direct me to the 52 tooth sprockets?

Thanks
Fred

.wee.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Nuthin' huh? That's OK. I wasn't expecting much about this. I did a very thorough search on MB sites both on and off of this board and found nothing. Oh well, thanks for looking.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All I can think of is a 52 tooth sprocket that is made for some sort of motorcycle or moped but that would require a custom adapter to fit your hub.
A complete DIY arrangement. Sorry I have no direct link to any particular site that would fit the situation. All I would do is a Yahoo search anyways.....

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I wound up buying a 52t bicycle sprocket and cutting the middle out of it. I attached it to a smaller sprocket I wasn't going to use for anything and mounted the assembly on my wheel with a rag. I had to take extra care to get the up and down part as close to right as I could. Then worked on the side to side part. It works pretty well. I like it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well I am glad to hear that you came up with a good work around!
Where there is a will, there is a way!
Could you share some pics of it? I for one welcome any new ways or ideas to overcome the many obstacles folks face when building/ customizing MB's, and pictures make it easier for other folks to duplicate it if it can help them out.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Do you have hills you have to overcome in your area, Fred? My 44t moved some big guys with ease on the flat streets. I don't know what would happen with the 36t that I have on it now if I let them ride it, but for me, I am seriously considering going to a 32t.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Fugi, This is an HS 49cc four stroke and I am around 300 pounds. It came with a 48t which works fine for me as long as I stay away from the hills. The hills are just part of getting to the golf course.

I bought a 56t a while back. I can pull stumps with that, but the speed is lacking. I find a 52t to be the best compromise. And with a single speed bike, compromise is the name of the game.

I'll try for some pictures today.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
OK, So I guess a person cannot buy a 52t motorbike sprocket exactly. So I found a 52t steel sprocket on Ebay. I cut out the middle section of it and clamped it to another MB sprocket I wasn't planning to use.

No problem drilling the holes and fitting bolts, washers, etc to hold it together. But I did have to be very careful about concentricity or the up and down movement of the sprocket assembly. Using some care, I was able to get it pretty close to right.

The end result may not be the prettiest arrangement you've ever seen, but it works good for me. Pics below.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good for you, Fred. I like to see people make things work when the odds are against them.
And I disagree with you that it's not pretty. Actually yours looks better than many I've seen. Congratulations.
Tom

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Lotsa chrome, darn nice looking bike, and the sprocket looks great!
I'm impressed with the work-around. Good thinking.

Brads bike

Feb 27, 2022
Does anyone know of anyone who sells a 52 tooth steel sprocket?

I have a 48 (came with the kit) and a 56 tooth sprocket. The 8 tooth difference between them is more than I would like. So I'm looking for a 'happy medium' or a 52 tooth steel sprocket.

I looked at the sprockets at King's and they are very nice. Problem is they're about twice what I want to spend on one.

So, can anyone direct me to the 52 tooth sprockets?

Thanks
Fred

.wee.
Grubee - motorized bicycles canada, 12.99 plus shipping 52 ,or 56 , looks like it fits a rag joint

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry