Huasheng problem.

GoldenMotor.com

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
I recently got a Huasheng engine from BikeBerry no more than 3 days old and I've been having troubles with it ever since I got it on my bike.

First, it wouldn't stay idle. If it did, I would give it some gas and as soon as I let go of the gas it would die. When I did get it running, I would give it full gas and it would drastically go down in speed.

I never managed to get the bike running more than 15 mph, even when it was full throttle. As soon as I let the gas go, it would again die.

My last problem got serious. I was adjusting the idle and I thought I had it where I wanted it. The motor shook a bit different, and died again. Now it will not even start. As in I would pull the pull start and it would feel as if its not spinning anything inside the motor. I see the darn thing is spinning, but I don't feel the piston moving at all, or any kind of compression inside the motor.

Again, this thing is no more than 3 days old mounted on the bike.

I'm looking for any kind of advice. Should I return my engine or is this issue resolvable?:-||

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
I believe that I would be on the telephone with BikeBerry. That last problem, no compression, sounds like something internal to me. See if they will replace the engine.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Whew!

Advice???

ok... Yes, the issue IS resolvable.

chances are it is something simple complicated by your apparent inexperience with engines.

Since it is brand new, I would at least make contact with the seller, to get in the log with your problem.

I would be reluctant to say you should immediately seek return of the motor.

...baby steps... are critical when making adjustments, such as you may have done to the idle???

...I'm sry... Can't really go much further without knowing your experience level with small motors. Would you pls include that info for the group?

Best
rc

probably next thing you should do is take out the sparkplug and have someone help you check for spark, and compression. then check for fuel.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Is there oil in the crankcase?

The compression is leaking out somewhere.
To diagnose where,take a piece of garden hose or other tubing to use like a stethescope, when one end is held to your ear. Have someone gently pull the starter while you listen with the other end of the hose for air hissing and leaking out of the exhaust or intake or around the sparkplug and also check at the crankcase vent tube. Hissing from the vent means piston/rings problem .

Last edited:

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
A flooded engine can feel like there is no compresson - gas has washed the rings of oil.
I think you might be on to something. I noticed gas dripping from my fuel line when I thought it was off? How can I tell for sure if I have a flooded engine?

I seriously have No experience with 4 strokes or 2 stroke engines. I hear they're reliable so I purchased it with the thought of not having to worry so much. Now I'm in a pickle cause I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I think you might be on to something. I noticed gas dripping from my fuel line when I thought it was off? How can I tell for sure if I have a flooded engine?

I seriously have No experience with 4 strokes or 2 stroke engines. I hear they're reliable so I purchased it with the thought of not having to worry so much. Now I'm in a pickle cause I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
If the engine is flooded, the sparkplug will be very wet with fuel when you take it out. If it is wet, leave the plug out, make sure the igniton is off or ground the plug wire somewhere away from the carb and plug hole, then pull the starter briskly anout a dozen times to purge the fuel from the engine.

To check compression the low tech way,put a thumb over the plug hole and pull the starter. You will feel substantial pressure/vacuum pulses if the compresson is good.

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
I think it's moving. How high and low does the piston move for me to tell whether or not its actually moving along?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Check the oil for fuel contaminaton! If the engine was severly flooded, fuel will leak past the piston and into the crankcase. If the oil level has risen , that's a good indication. The oil will smell strongly like gasoline if it is contaminated.

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
Check the oil for fuel contaminaton! If the engine was severly flooded, fuel will leak past the piston and into the crankcase. If the oil level has risen , that's a good indication. The oil will smell strongly like gasoline if it is contaminated.
i think it smells like straight gasoline... I took the dipstick out and it dripped on the ground. the contents looked like a mixture of gas and barely used oil. What could/should i do about it?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Stick a straw in the sparkplug hole abd observe how much it moves. Prolly should move up/down somewhat more than an inch.

If the piston is moving, the rod/crank is prolly OK. No compression still? chech to see where it's leaking out with the listening hose.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
i think it smells like straight gasoline... I took the dipstick out and it dripped on the ground. the contents looked like a mixture of gas and barely used oil. What could/should i do about it?
The stock gas tank valve is known for it's unreliabilaty. Napa sells a fuel petcock for older garden tractors with 1/8" pipe threads that will screw into the kit tank. Thay also sell a plastic in-line fuel valve.

If you ran it a lot with too much fuel in the crankcase, the rings may be shot. Too much oil in the crankcase alone, can blow the rings, worse with fuel.

Maybe not though. Just drain it and use fresh oil and try it. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
The piston didn't move. maybe I'm doing it wrong. I tried pulling the rip cord slowly. and tried spinning the rear wheel. Nothing made it move.

I'll be back in a couple of hours. I need a power nap.

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
If anything. I'll post a quick minute video on my situation. maybe that will help me get this thing running in the right direction

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
When you drain the crankcase, use a clean clear container, and inspect for excessive metal in the oil/fuel that was drained. It's normal to see some glitter in the oil when an engine is relativly new. A lot of larger particles means trouble.

If the piston don't move, you prolly toasted the connecting rod. Did you hear any knocking or mettalic noise before it quit?

Rico

Mar 1, 2012
Vegas
I don't want to say I heard a metalic noise when it quit. But it certainly did not sound like a healthy quit.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
The piston didn't move. maybe I'm doing it wrong. I tried pulling the rip cord slowly. and tried spinning the rear wheel. Nothing made it move.

I'll be back in a couple of hours. I need a power nap.
Spinning the wheel wouldn't make it move. Try pulling the recoil starter cover off and spin the flywheel manually with the plug still out.