The motorized bike inventer...?????

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Heres a link to a page of site Im re-doing,...it covers the evolution of the motorized bicycle MOTO EVOLUTION - THAT BIKE GUY. COM

Cheers
Well done CM! Page is looking great. I hadn't checked it in a while.

.flg.

Kinda crazy. Just a few years after the American civil war there were our things. People were still trying to come up with efficient ways to kill each other and some insane bike guy was thinking; "How can I make this thing propel it self?"

Ever notice, the engine or motor is always invented first. Then the brakes. Ya know the guy is all happy, going a long at a good pace then suddenly, a cow or some thing leaps out in front of him.

Good brakes or death by bovine.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a coupla old books on bicycles, and according to one, S.H. Roper built the first steam powered bicycle in the late 1860's.

in 1894, E.J. Pennington introduced the "Motor Cycle" with a 10lb kerosene engine.

around 1900, an unknown american developed the "Gun Powder Bike," which supposedly could do 100mph when lit.

in 1898, the Waltham Manufacturing Co. of Massachusetts introduced the first successful line of "motor cycles" based on their popular "Orient" bicycle.

then came Harley Davidson and the Hendee Manufacturing Co. (maker of the Indian,) Curtiss, and all the rest about the same time.

the first casualty is thought to be Frank A. Elwell, (a bicycling pioneer who toured America, Asia and Europe,) who broke his neck when his forks collapsed in 1902.

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
The gunpowder bike! Light with caution!

I figure the MB was invented shortly after a guy with a bike saw the first motor. When his neighbor saw the machine, he built one too. Shortly after that, motorcycle racing was invented.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The gunpowder bike! Light with caution!

I figure the MB was invented shortly after a guy with a bike saw the first motor. When his neighbor saw the machine, he built one too. Shortly after that, motorcycle racing was invented.
I bet your right Billy!

(But did they argue about master links and chain tensioners? lol)