Jesse James West Coast chopper done right

GoldenMotor.com

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Kim I cannot argue with you about the Choppersus fork I can only tell you what I was told that the tree on that bike is not a functional springer and was fabricated by the builder. I may have more info today as I head for Clearwater. There is a possibility the bike is still at the shop. There is no link as I was told he fabricated the front end. I have to agree if it is the choppersus fork why not make it operational. Doesn't that make you wonder a bit. Do you really think the builder of that bike got the installation of the springer fork wrong? Not likely.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
There's no way that's a 'faux' springer. Every single part on there is made specifically for the one mentioned from Choppers USA, including the optional iron cross dropouts. What he did was disable it by putting the wheel where it is. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing wrong with that. Now the lights don't move and it looks cool, but not as cool as a working one! I get the how, just not the why. I would have bought the brake dropouts(and a dual brake wheel!!!), you could even double up with the iron cross ones, and still have suspension.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
OK back from Clearwater with correct information. It IS a ChoppersUS Tree I was told it was not so we have cleared that up . The reason it is not being used as a springer is because the builder felt that he would have problems with his front brake. He might not be aware of what Tipsy is suggesting.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
He did change the springs though, I did notice that ChopperUS has straight springs, it looks like he took the bee's nest springs and replaced the regular ones. Its a cool set up, but I still would rather have a working springer.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
OK back from Clearwater with correct information. It IS a ChoppersUS Tree I was told it was not so we have cleared that up . The reason it is not being used as a springer is because the builder felt that he would have problems with his front brake. He might not be aware of what Tipsy is suggesting.
As i said it was its identical to the one sitting in my workshop haha...and the reason was already given why it was setup as it is by the person that started this thread if you check the earlier posts when i first asked why it was like it is :)

The changing of the springs IMHO is a must do too the originals are so heavy the springer barely moves with them.

I can say dual disk on the front of the springers work a treat too, ben there done that with my first custom build.

As i stated last post however, I believe that particular bike would stop very well with rear brake only so if the builder wished to make the Springer operational...worth a shot more to gain than to lose IMO.

KiM

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
WoW...sweet ride, extremely well done!!!

Even without the springer be operational, I wouldn't call this build ALL show and no go. It is pretty show however!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Should have known :D

Say, can you get me some info on that seat? How was it made?
For awhile now have been wanting to do a chopper project..
Mix a occ rear end w/ a beach cruiser or something.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Hope all is going well with you, and you are adjusting to your move to Cali.

The seat that Dave used is the original West Coast Chopper seat; covered in a different material.

Jim

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
are my eyes playing tricks on me? are those mag rims? wish i could start machining my own for my OCC stingray,im getting tired of my fat carcass snapping spokes.

great job on the bike! im loving how the 'chopper' frames are becoming more like their big brothers.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
are my eyes playing tricks on me? are those mag rims? wish i could start machining my own for my OCC stingray,im getting tired of my fat carcass snapping spokes.

great job on the bike! im loving how the 'chopper' frames are becoming more like their big brothers.
Outlaw,

Dave found those wheels on ebay...I think they were reasonable. Next time I see him I'll ask him who the seller was. I think the seller may specialize in this sort of thing and will likely have more.

I know Dave would not have paid BIG dollar for those wheels.

Jim

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
He paid 89 dollars on Ebay I checked but I think they are all gone I could not find the listing. Maybe Dave could find them again. Only 20 inch rims however no other sizes were available.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
He paid 89 dollars on Ebay I checked but I think they are all gone I could not find the listing. Maybe Dave could find them again. Only 20 inch rims however no other sizes were available.
I think if you check in Low Rider car magazine you might find a sorse. They used to be in there.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Great job finding that listing I was not aware it was for a SET! of two These are really nice wheels for that price. I have seen them on Dave's bike Too bad they isn't a 24 inch front model.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
yeah 24inch would be sweet,I'm going to order a set for my w.c.c chopper.It's a pretty fair price for a set nice rims.I'll post some pics when I get them.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Mate happened to donate me one of these frames last week, i needed a 1 1/8 in head tube for my new custom frame, had already been sandblasted and all haha...

Such a tiny frame though didnt realize how small they were...the head tube has
found its new home, the frame will find one on the side of the road this afternoon
as we have council pickup0 scheduled lol

KiM

Attachments