qmatic clutch won't completely disengage at idle

GoldenMotor.com

Nockout19

Oct 22, 2013
KY
so this hasn't happened to me previously but the other day i removed the motor and trans from the bike to work on the bike and when i put it back in,started it up and went for a short test ride i found that the motor slow me down like it used to. when i let off the throttle the motor would break the bike until around 18-20mph then the clutch would disengage. Well no it dons't seem to brake at all,rather it seems to just keep coasting along.

also before if you tilted the bike on the kickstand so the back wheel was off the ground the motor wouldn't turn it. now you do that and the clutch is still engaged enough that with the wheel off the ground it will turn, i tried dropping the idle to see it that would work.but the clutch was still engaged when the motor stalled from idling so low.

i took the clutch off and don't see any apparent reason for it not disengaging, the shoes are a little worn down near the edges(been like that since first 100mi) but the rest of it is nearly smooth. the clutch bell has a groove worn in it from the shoes and as close as i can judge its about .0025" deep groove. Is that about normal for a clutch with only 680mi and a 200# rider?

I'm stumped as to what could have happened when i took it off the bike, cause i didn't do anything to the clutch or trans while off the bike and as i said it worked fine before.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How does your idle speed compare to before you took the engine off the bike. Could you have possibly changed the idle speed setting or changed anything with the throttle cable that could be keeping the engine idling faster than it used to? Even a few rpm increase might be enough to keep the clutch just slightly engaged.

Tom

Nockout19

Oct 22, 2013
KY
No I never touched the idle until after finding that it wouldn't disengage. I then tried lowering the idle until the bike just wouldn't stay running

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Check your chain alignment and also your belt tension. If you grab the back wheel while it's idling off the ground, does it stop? Does the engine die?

Let us know more of the symptoms of it's condition. Every bit helps.

Nockout19

Oct 22, 2013
KY
sorry i took so long to get back, Now scotto. by chain alignment do you mean that if the chain is slightly off it would be pulling on the clutch bell makeing it contack one of the clutch shoes?that what you mean?? it is possible that could be the problem as i moved the motor over on the mount plate about 1/8" to give alittle more tire clearence.possible cause i'll have to check.
Trans belt tension is good,same as before. If you grab the wheel it it will stop and Does Not affect how the motor is running.the clutch seems to be grabbing by just a hair and now that you mentioned it,its probbably from sliding the motor over that bit.:-||

But to throw another question in..When i first posted it was 13degreeF out side and it(Clutch) was ketching, 2 days later i went back out to it 40degree out and guess what...it would disengage completely..??? whats up with that?? wouldn't think 30deg would matter

anyways thanks for the ideas.ill check that mount plate when it warms up a little and let you guys know if that was the victim. .duh.