49cc 4 stroke bike kit not starting

GoldenMotor.com

samkrut96

Jun 4, 2012
California
Hi,
A few weeks a go I built a 4 stroke 49cc bike kit from engines online shop. It worked perfectly until one day I was riding and the engine completely stalled. I got off my motor bike and tried starting it but the pull lever wouldn't go farther than 6inches. I had my buddy that i was with pull me home. I tried starting it again when I got home and this time the pull lever went the full length it was supposed to but the engine still would not start. I left it outside for about 30 min to go do some research and when I got back the gearbox was leaking oil. I do not know what happened. I change the oil regularly do not abuse the bike. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

motobike

Apr 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I have the same kit as you do. The gearbox should not be leaking oil. It is self contained and uses thick grease. When you pull on the starter, does it feel normal with compression? how does the oil in the crankcase look?

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I would open up the entire gearbox and see what is going on. Then i would remove the gearbox and examine the clutch, then i would examine the oil seals behind the clutch. I think the oil seals are the problem. I way be wrong though :)

samkrut96

Jun 4, 2012
California
If i open everything up should I drain the oil before I do so? Is there supposed to be oil anywhere besides where the oil is supposed to go?

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Any updates?

Don't drain the oil before you take **** apart. That way you will be able to see where it is coming from. Also, if your oil is black and thick, change it after you find where the leak is.