Why?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm curious as to why there are so many people wanting more speed out of their bikes, when, to me, a major attraction of a motorised bicycle is the deliberate sacrifice of speed in search of miserly fuel consumption and a sense of relaxed style.

If we're talking about performance figures, who's the forum mpg record holder? Surely that's much more relevant than making a pushbike mimic a modern motorcycle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
People will always "Hot Rod" anything they can get their hands on.

I hear you though. If I want to go over 25 mph, I'll ride my scooter. Or the big Suzuki.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I believe it's a generational thing. Most of us old timers are content with our bikes that cruise at a comfortable 20/25 mph. It's the younger ones who want them to go faster. This isn't surprising when you compare our bikes to music, fashion, hair styles etc. The kids and the older folks will never agree, never have, never will.

When speed is concerned I just say, "live and let live". It's the noise problem that I see as an issue that can effect the hobby as a whole. Loud exhaust and unsafe riding can, and will attract the attention of the authorities and bring unwanted legislation.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a thing that never changes, kids making exhausts louder in the belief it equals more speed. Of course, none of US ever did that, did we?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There's a thing that never changes, kids making exhausts louder in the belief it equals more speed. Of course, none of US ever did that, did we?
Nah. 'Course not. Why, it would have been really rude of me, when I was in my late teens, to have gone and put twin Cherry Bombs and tuned pipes on my '76 Camaro and then go rumbling down Vernon Road with a deep-throated, reverberating *BRUM*BRUM*BRUM*BRUM which rattled window panes and induced threats of slashed tires.

(Seriously though, that kind of thing is pretty rude. But I wouldn't have realized that back then. Thank heaven I discovered maturity, eh?)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm curious as to why there are so many people wanting more speed out of their bikes, when, to me, a major attraction of a motorised bicycle is the deliberate sacrifice of speed in search of miserly fuel consumption and a sense of relaxed style.

If we're talking about performance figures, who's the forum mpg record holder? Surely that's much more relevant than making a pushbike mimic a modern motorcycle.
http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56 ;)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've just opened a link to the very bowels of the Devil! Electricity! The Creeping Curse, the the Wearisome Watt and the Obnoxious Ohm that threaten to engulf us all!I pray to God, Allah and the Flying Spaghetti Monster to release these heathens from their torment and let them embrace the Truth that is Internal Combustion!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hey, you asked :D

For a moderate "sacrifice of speed";
miserly fuel consumption, check
sense of relaxed style, check
mpg record holder, check

whut? :p

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Did I claim "no pollution"? rotfl I think you've mistaken me for an enviroweenie, such is simply not the case lol - however, you said "mpg" not general environmental impact & I've not bought a single drop of fuel this season ;) Devil in the details n'all heh

Only the most naive think electrics are anything but simple deferment of pollutants *shrug*

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I apologise most sincerely for mistaking you for a tree hugger. However, you're not getting me on board an electric; where I live, where I want to go, it's simply inadequate and currently, horribly overpriced.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Would some of the riders, that want more power only have one gear?

Im yet to finish my jackshaft install and I already dream of riding it.

I dont want to increase the power output as I fear of busting the Nexus 8 speed IGH.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I want speed because I DON'T have a motorcycle and as long as I keep my speed down a bit and don't piss off too many people, I won't have any issues.

I have an open exhaust btw. :D

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I want speed because I DON'T have a motorcycle and as long as I keep my speed down a bit and don't piss off too many people, I won't have any issues.

I have an open exhaust btw. :D
An open exhaust and not pissing people off kinda don't go together!
My bike runs fine with the stock exhaust, nice and fast and quiet...

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've tried to get as much bicycle efficeiency and as much of the experience of cycling combined into my builds, but always within PRACTICAL limits-

But that's why I have 700C and 27 x 1 1/4 tires, and use as much alloy parts as I can- from years of road cycling. The top end just goes up a bit as you strive to get more practical efficiency- I'm sort of an enviro-tinkerer- but I think there's a real practical top end about 35- and even that's too wide open to seek continually- My 66 build is really comfortable with itself between 25 and 30- so that's usually where I get on open stretches.

Who has the greatest MPG is hard- because, well IT'S A BICYCLE, and you can just pedal the thing across the country with a gallon of gas in the tank probably. I probably am up in the higher echelon there, because I just do a series of "Burns" quite a bit- I love to coast, and I hate to waste brake pads and stress out braking, so I get up to speed and as far as I think I can coast from any anticipated stop, I kill the motor and coast away until I'm at that point at about normal cycling roll/ speed.

And with the semi-skinny tires I'm really quite comforatble with, cause they're not really like sew-ups or even 23mm clinchers- the bikes roll a half mile in calm wind once I'm up to speed. They're really sort of like a classic 10 speed in ridability, except I use a modern lightweight cruiser frame for clearance, and only one build has a mult-speed freewheel in the back.

So anyway- still enjoying myself and haven't had any real problems yet- 3 1/2 years on.

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver

Everything must be EXTREME.
Your NOT COOL if your not risking a CRIPLING INJURY doing your thing.
You must follow the WISE ADVICE of "GO BIG OR GO HOME."
You must be SOMEBODY.
EVERYONE MUST SEE YOU!
YOUR IMPORTAND!
What a bunch of sheep following a LOAD OF SHEEP %&#%.