Pic Request: Really cool looking motorized mountain bikes

GoldenMotor.com

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I have a Shimano XTR 18 speed. Rigid frame, 26"x 1.95 wheels, no suspension, but it handles well. I've gotta get a cruiser seat though. The mtn bike seat has no suspension at all. I feel every bump, every crack in the road. lol
A good comfortable seat is my first priority in a bike, Walmart has a Bell seat with gel that are very comfortable and affordable.

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
Yes, I agree there is a few options out there on Seat Set-ups.
1. A good seat w/springs and gel works good if you get a good one.
But some seats have 2 springs, but sometimes they are too strong or they are only made for a 400 lbs person to make it spring. The springs are too strong.
2. There is the suspension seat post w/ an adjustable spring. Some are cheap quality. The cheap ones wear out and the seat moves left and right. If you get a good one and it holds up and your seat does not move left or right you scored. I found that the seat I use works good for me, It does not have the big strong springs on it, that, and good front shocks gives it a smoother ride.
But I think that if you can have a set up with a dual suspension bike with good travel that’s the good set up.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
On the subject of seats being too stiff:
The Bell gel seat with the gel pads and rubber "springs" has a design flaw. The rubber "springs" were disabled at the factory. If you disassemble the seat, you see that there is a plastic guide tube in the center of the rubber. However, there are plastic stops that prevent any movement of sliding up and down the posts. I'd have to take it apart and take pics to really give a good idea of what's going on, but after this mod, the seat works properly. You just have to grind off the tabs, or shorten the posts.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
On the subject of seats being too stiff:
The Bell gel seat with the gel pads and rubber "springs" has a design flaw. The rubber "springs" were disabled at the factory. If you disassemble the seat, you see that there is a plastic guide tube in the center of the rubber. However, there are plastic stops that prevent any movement of sliding up and down the posts. I'd have to take it apart and take pics to really give a good idea of what's going on, but after this mod, the seat works properly. You just have to grind off the tabs, or shorten the posts.
Can you take a pic and show me what u're talking about? Because I don't see anything wrong with my seat, they feel comfortable.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Oh the seat is very comfortable even without the suspension.

Seat in question:

The rubber "springs" assembled:

There's a plastic post that goes through the center of the rubber. The plastic bit is typically longer.

The end that rides on the rubber has a square hole, and did not fit at all around the plastic rod.

If you cut the rod short, it will allow the red circle part to rest on the rubber, and it will bottom out when it hits the plastic.

Last edited:

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
So basically take out the red rubber ring, cut a piece off of the plastic that's in the center and reinstall the red rubber?

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
The red piece is hard plastic. You don't need to do anything with that part at all. The photos of it are just to show why it doesn't all fit together right without the mod =P

greentek

Mar 8, 2011
Victorville, California
That is, a different set-up.
Hey I got a question 4 you?
On the exhaust How does it run with the long pipe with the expansion part in the rear like that, I mean does it have power off the line, or more power when it stars to wind up medium to high rpms? Or on the High RPMs?
Thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That is, a different set-up.
Hey I got a question 4 you?
On the exhaust How does it run with the long pipe with the expansion part in the rear like that, I mean does it have power off the line, or more power when it stars to wind up medium to high rpms? Or on the High RPMs?
Thanks
My bike has a lot of bottom end and midrange. Above 30 mph it feels about the same as with my modified stock muffler, but it did pick up 1 or 2 extra mph. I'm happy with the way it runs, because it needed more power on the bottom than on the top anyway.

It's also pretty quite, especially cruiseing 20 and below. At high speed I think the motor makes more noise then the exhaust. Mounting the pipe to the frame got rid of a lot of vibration too, because it's not hanging off the head vibrating like a fool. Now I don't have to worry about the muffler falling off and rolling under my rear wheel again 2 times.