Traveling with your motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So I'm looking at some ways to get my bike about 700 miles from my current location(Northern Virginia) into Canada for a vacation. I was wondering if anyone has mounted their MB on a standard rear mounted bike rack. Not a hitch-mounted model, but one that straps to the rear and uses leverage to stay in place. I drive a 2006 Dodge Magnum RT.

Similar to this type, but not necessarily this actual model:

Of course I have the option of pulling off the front wheel and putting the bike inside, but I can hear the wife now complaining about the smell of gas for 11 hrs! Any thoughts?

SlickmisterN

Feb 27, 2009
Napa
Re: Traveling with your MB...

Drain gas, buy a roll of cellophane/saran and wrap the engine and gas tank several times over to seal it. No smells should escape...

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

Somebody on here used a bike carrier and saw their bike rolling down the road behind them. Actually it wasn't rolling, it was more like somersaults! Here is what I use.

Terry

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio

Somebody on here used a bike carrier and saw their bike rolling down the road behind them. Actually it wasn't rolling, it was more like somersaults! Here is what I use.

Terry

Terry neglected to show you the front of his truck though:

But his family is not too happy when he brings his bike on vacation because they have to take a second vehicle considering the fully stocked garage, machine shop and detail center that has to have for "Big Red" (not to mention Jose the illegal immigrant who polishes his chrome). It just kills the togetherness thing sometimes. One redeeming factor is that he doesn't have to hear "Are we there yet?" or "I gotta go PEE" too often except over the CB, God invented squelch for just such occasions..."

I am on my 3rd personal build and I think I am going to build a small trailer for them so no one feels left out...

Terry I measured my stretch it is 7' 7 1/2" with the 17" front hub and tire, if I go to a 24 inch front tire I think we just might end up in a tie who is longer.

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008

I've used strap on racks several times to carry mine. While I agree it's less ideal than carrying the bike inside or using an under the wheel hitch type rack I think it can be safely done. The step most people fail at is checking the straps AFTER the bikes are loaded as the weight of the bikes on the rack can make formerly tight straps become lose. I also check the straps EVERY time I stop (for gas or other breaks) just to be sure they've not worked themselves loose.

That said, I'd still use one of the other options if it were available to me.

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA

I would not use a mount that attaches with straps. I used one with two peddle bikes, 1 steel frame 1 carbon frame, and the carrier straps looked like they wanted to snap under that load. I used ropes as back up straps just in case, but other than needing some tightening down the road(bottom straps came loose) it did hold. Now I wouldn't even think about putting a heavy MB on it, one bump with that heavy load could unhook the straps and there it goes. Just my 2¢

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA

Good advice from the previous poster......buy a quality rack (go to a bike shop-don't go to Wal-Mart) and check those straps after an hour on the road......they WILL be loose.

I've used a similar rack for years carrying up to 3 bikes with no problems....but make sure you install it correctly and *check* those straps.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA

Also.....use extra bungee cords and thread them into and around the wheels so they don't spin and also try to use a few bungees to somehow connect the bike rack to the vehicle...if the unthinkable happens and the bike rack *does*come loose.....

...you won't have a highway "yard sale".

The bike rack will still be loosely attached to the vehicle and will buy you a few seconds to get pulled over.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Looks like we may just be dealing with a bit of fume smells. I can see my bike now cartwheeling down I-95 at 75mph...

I'll try the plastic wrap idea...