Brakes squeak on rims after painting.

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
I guess this is to serve as a word of warning, and also an inquiry to see if anyone has a solution for this.

I painted my rims and put a clear coat sealant over it. I took the bike out for a ride, and found that the brakes make a VERY loud squeak/shriek when I engage them. They also left a nasty little black ring on my newly painted rims =(. At least the color scheme is black, red, and white, so it sort of fits. Anyway, I'm assuming that once it makes its way through the clear coating, it should be ok, but until then, really annoying =\

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
your brake pads will not only remove the clear coat, they'll remove the paint, too.

brake pads are basically an abrasive, and if neglected, over time, they can wear through the walls of your rims. it'd take a while, but it's been known to happen.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Has anyone had any luck/experience with disc brakes? I've heard of people using them, but really no nothing about them. I'll have to get more info once I can get on a real computer, the iPhone is handy but can't cut it as a serious browser :p

CoConutXpress

Apr 7, 2010
Hawaii
From what little experience I have, it seems that when you paint your "rims" you are esencially (spelled wrong, I know) painting your disk brakes. Same thing on a car, you wouldnt want to paint your disks would you Am I reading this right, and am I right??

Thanks,
CoConutXpress

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Two words, "newly panted". A lot of people think paint is dry after it is dry to the touch or even overnight but most paints can take up to a month to fully cure and harden.

You could probably get away with powder coating rims and using caliper brakes but paining is a bad idea.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I guess this is to serve as a word of warning, and also an inquiry to see if anyone has a solution for this.

brakes need to be direct pads to metal with no paint, oil, water, anything between them or they will not work correctly. A solution is to raise the bike up, spin a wheel at a time and use a flat screwdriver or other tool to remove (scrape) the paint on the sides of the rim so that its raw metal. Think of a lathe. the spine of the rim can remain painted. see pic. They are going to look like this eventually anyways, but this way you can be sure its square and restore proper function to your brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I'd remove the paint from the braking surface.....if you get stuck in a rain storm...you will have almost no braking whatsoever. Also, after you remove the paint- run some sandpaper of the braking surface and your brake pads as well- they probably have a build up of paint.

How do I know this?

I did the same thing a few years ago with one of my beater bikes and ran it into a drainage culvert at 20 mph in a rain storm because I painted the rims:)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Has anyone had any luck/experience with disc brakes? I've heard of people using them, but really no nothing about them. I'll have to get more info once I can get on a real computer, the iPhone is handy but can't cut it as a serious browser :p

Disk brakes rock. I prefer only disk brakes my self. If'n you get disk brakes the bigger the rotor the better.

chad223

Sep 20, 2010
NC

brakes need to be direct pads to metal with no paint, oil, water, anything between them or they will not work correctly. A solution is to raise the bike up, spin a wheel at a time and use a flat screwdriver or other tool to remove (scrape) the paint on the sides of the rim so that its raw metal. Think of a lathe. the spine of the rim can remain painted. see pic. They are going to look like this eventually anyways, but this way you can be sure its square and restore proper function to your brakes.
I got a better idea (maybe). Tape some little pieces of fine grit sandpaper on your brake pads and ride down your driveway while pressing them lightly.