hello

GoldenMotor.com

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
***update***

plan A:
the small turnbuckle trick, broke the end off...

plan B
searched for an hour, and finally found the screw jack. it's the bottle style screw jack...

plan C
i put 1/4 inch rubber mat around the rear forks and chained one side to a fence post, the other side i chained to my truck and put a 10" turnbuckle in between. ripped the bolt right out of the turnbuckle...

plan D
marvel at the strength of 6061 aluminum alloy and look for a scissor style screw jack and muffler expander tomorrow...

one way or another, i am going to get a bigger sprocket on this thing.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Great idea, CurtisFox; do you know what the min/max dimensions on these exhaust manifold spreaders are?

I used one of these I had laying around:

It was a tight fit to start with and I used a mallet to force it into the gap before spreading.

Be sure to lock the axle-end by replacing the axle and nuts before spreading! I found the job needed a LOT of force. 6061 Aluminium isn't very malleable, so you'll need to over-spread a little to get it right.
Can't find mine right now but i think i read 3" to 4.5" somewhere, here is a link. Most are lisle 1300 and anywhere form $7 to $20. Some of the local auto parts stores carry them............Curt
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemD...2zvExAutrlTIHfflY3r4gBlTy_0OgOvJbIaAvs38P8HAQ

Last edited:

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i'll probably borrow one, and borrow the exhaust spreader too. :)

i'ts coming along nicely though. should have the new carb, intake, motor mount, dual brake handle, light kit and spedo by the weekend.

so far, this rear fork thing has been the biggest issue. a 32t will just barely clear as is.

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
How about buying some threaded stock that will fit thru the axle slots (3/8" ?) along with 2 nuts and 2 washers. Place the thread stock thru the axle with the nuts and washers INSIDE of the frame and start screwing outward to spread. It's the cheapest and simplest way I can think of.

Update: perhaps I misunderstood, this would be only for spreading the rear axle area not a specific area of the frame.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
How about buying some threaded stock that will fit thru the axle slots (3/8" ?) along with 2 nuts and 2 washers. Place the thread stock thru the axle with the nuts and washers INSIDE of the frame and start screwing outward to spread. It's the cheapest and simplest way I can think of.

Update: perhaps I misunderstood, this would be only for spreading the rear axle area not a specific area of the frame.
Still... there may be something to that for certain builds. Way to use your nugget!

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
***update***

i got the new carb and dual pull brake handle on and did away with the tensioner. i still have to form the new front motor mount a little better, i left a small tab to attach to the exhaust for support.
i'm still gonna move some stuff around and do the "clean-up" phase later. and there are still some parts on the way, not to mention the rear fork issue...
so, it's definitely still a work in progress.

in my opinion, it will be done when it can climb phone poles, go 300mph, and shoot lasers from the headlights... surface to air missiles would be nice too... lol

edit: spedo is on too, says top speed registered so far is 35.7mph. i'm about 50 miles into the break-in period.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
leo, you're doing 35 mph on a motor with 50 mi on it? That's not what most people around here would call 'broken in'. Usually that's 2-3 full tanks of gas/oil.
These China Girl motors are proven to give good results, but you've got to break em in before you work the bejezus out of em.
Your chain isn't even stretched yet (it doesn't, but the rollers and pins wear, and your drive sprocket wears). That's at about 100 miles.
If you feel it's ok, then go for it, some of em are quite good right from the start. Would just hate to see you lose it before you get some riding out of it.

Good luck!

Trey

Hey, I just thought of this as well, it's something every new 2-stroke owner should read. It's involved, but worth it;

http://motorbicycleracing.com/2-stroke-oils.html

Last edited:

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
point taken... i will be more careful with it.

in all honesty, that wasn't anywhere near full throttle. it has 29" rims and a 32t sprocket. great top end, but almost no low end at all... for now...

it would be great "as is" if i lived in a flat area, but these wv mountains are STEEP.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
the $15 lisle #13000 exhaust spreader worked, brought bend in the rear forks out almost a whole inch.
i finally got a sprocket bigger than 32 teeth on this bike. much more power now.

the scissor style screw jack didn't work, i even cut it down and welded a flat plate on top, but still couldn't get it to go in.

although, i'm sure those screw jacks come in several sizes, that would explain how kioshk got his inside the forks.

the Lisle 13000 exhaust manifold spreader is the only sure way to go, that i found anyway.

just thought i would share...

Attachments

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
climbs like a freakin' goat now!!!
the new expansion chamber wouldn't quite clear the frame, so i cut the manifold end at a shallow angle, flipped it over and welded it back on.
it still had the long factory intake and didn't quite get to the high end. so i cut one down to a super shorty and fired it up again.
she took off like a bat outta ****!!!

this is much more like what i had in mind when i was planning it, and it sounds great too. (bonus points)
still got tons to do, but at least now i am starting to see it really pay off.

i just wanted to say thanks again, to all of you. you guys saved me loads of experimentation time...

Attachments