T-bar handlebars.

GoldenMotor.com

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Does anyone know if there's a place that sells T-bar type handlebars for bicycles? I'd like to have the feel/look of a drag bar with the comfort of a high rise. I suppose I could just use a drag bar and raise the goose neck up as high as I want it. but I really don't like that look. If not. Can you use motorcycle handlebars on a bicycle?
Thank you.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
As long as the motorcycle handlebars are 7/8" diameter (nearly all Japanese motorcycle bars) they will fit fine.
Note: Harley-Davidson uses 1" handlebars, they are a no-go unless you can machine out the gooseneck to fit the larger diameter.
Also, motorcycle handlebars tend to be made of thicker walled tubing. This will cause them to weigh more than bicycle handlebars. This is usually not a problem, but I thought you might want to know.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not quite sure what "T-Bar" handlebars are. Could you possibly post a link or a photo to show us what you mean.

If I'm right you might be talking about 'ape hangers', or high handlebars?
You might want to explore using what old bikers called 'dog bones'. They attached the bars to the stem but raised them higher.
Here's a link to show you what they look like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Alloy-Han...ies&hash=item257a47255c&vxp=mtr#ht_2662wt_918

Tom

Last edited:

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Here is the type handlebar I'm looking for. As far as I know they are called T-bar handlebars. I think they are also known as Window handlebars.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is the type handlebar I'm looking for. As far as I know they are called T-bar handlebars. I think they are also known as Window handlebars.
Ah ha, Very similar to the dog bone concept except one piece.

I like them and there's no eason they wouldn't work on a motorized bicycle.
As GearNut said, finding them in 7/8" would make them easier to install.
Some stem designs might make it a challnge but it could be done. I have two Nirve Switchblades and they have a clamp on style of stem. They would be easy. The type with an eye and a clamping bolt might be harder.
Good luck and show us what you come up with.

Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Be careful with the bar design if you have the normal teardrop tank- without a gooseneck that gets the bars away from the tank, they can easily dent the tank if they get sideways-

I use BMX bars, and they can be tricky- you have to have a two piece stem for bars like that.

boxkite

Mar 3, 2014
Fillmore Indiana
Yep your right 2door. I didn't think of that, I'll have to have a block style goose neck. I'm 52 & it's been years since I messed around with a bike. I forgot a lot of things, & there is a lot of new things out now they didn't have years ago.
The good news is, the fed ex man brought me my project bike to day. This will be my 1st motorized bike build. I want it to be a good safe dependable one & I want to do it right.
I going start a build thread under ( Motorized cruiser bicycles ) The title will be called ( Building Voodoo Child ). I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of ???? along the way. Come join me there.
Thank you all for you future help.