Ga. Snow jam 2014

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I know y'all are going to call us wimps but this stinks! The problem is not the snow it's the ice. The snow fell on warm roads then froze. The ice in the tire tracks is about 1 inch thick.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was in Atlanta, actually Bremen, back in 74 or 75 when they got an inch of snow. It brought the city to its knees back then and there wasn't near the trafffic there is today. I saw the pictures on national news tonight. Astounding!

Tom

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
I got caught in a snow storm a few years ago in Atlanta after making a delivery when I drove a semi.
Man, that was nuts...
Worst part was when I watched the windshield wiper on the drivers side go flying off the truck because the load of snow it was pushing broke the wiper blade off the arm.. Real fun trying to see & get to the side of the road to replace it.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
1972, attending college in Houston, Tx, we got a 1 inch snow over night, first in 11years. They closed all freeways, closed all schools, dozens of crashes, just had to shake my head.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Just so that you have something to compare it to, this is a picture that I took today from my front door. It is currently -8 F. ... D.J.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm ok, I know how to drive in slippery conditions, which will be ok when they finally arrive here.

Is it the same in America, some eejit is getting wheelspin, and they try to cure it by pressing the loud pedal harder?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I've been following that in the news. It's a bit unusual for the region, so I can understand how many have no idea how to handle it. I agree with the opinion that they should have staggered the times people were leaving (can't recall if it was a Mayor or the state's Governor who said it), it may have reduced that traffic jam.

Thankfully we don't get much snow here in Vancouver. We had a few days with some, and it made a mess of traffic as expected. Most people here have no idea how to react in it.

When I lived in London, Ontario, we got our fair share of snow, ice, and slush. I was a delivery guy for a long time, so I saw pretty much everything at one point or another. The ones that made me laugh (and cringe when I saw them coming) were the folks who had brand new sport-utility etc vehicles who figured that because they have 4 wheel drive and ABS brakes, they can drive like it's summertime. One of the first things you learn doing that is that while ABS is great, if all 4 wheels agree that they are stopped it does nothing for them while sliding and spinning off into the ditch.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
One of the best pieces of news footage I ever saw about winter traffic involved a load of cars which had slid off the road into ditches and drifts, with everybody wandering about looking useless. Suddenly there's a thrashing noise and the camera swings round to pan on a Honda Cub, flat out with the rider's feet on the surface, passing the camera and disappearing into the distance. Snow? What snow?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As far as the SUV drivers and how they handle snow, I blame the TV commercials for the lack of common sense I see displayed. Ever watch those those adds and see how they drive? The road, usually a narrow mountain trail, covered with snow at least a foot deep and here comes the BMW, Acura, Lexus, whatever, and the thing is doing 50 mph and is driven by a soccer mom with a car full of kids.

"See how well our car handles bad weather? Buy one and you'll be able to drive just like this professional stunt driver who was really behind the wheel when we filmed this commercial".
Wish there was more 'truth in advertising'.

Tom

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The snow that turned to ice is mostly gone in the sun but shaded areas are still frozen. We will have a refreeze tonight, low down to about 15°. I have always lived here and have never seen Atlanta shut down like this, my hats off to the stores that took people in and fed them and supplied whatever they need free of charge. One kroger had 80 people spend the night there, the store manager himself stayed there and cooked breakfast for all, so there are still good people here.