Man take a look at these prices

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
our bikes cost around $3000 complete depending on the customers parts selection, the frame alone is $1100 with choice of powdercoat, with our bikes you get a USA handmade cromo frame. we arent trying to compete with a chineezzze p.o.s. scooter, we do what we do, and that is make the best motorbicycles in the world. USA ALL THE WAY !!!
I think you've definitely got the right idea. Make your own market.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I love this one. 250cc Custom Bobber Motorcycles Street Legal Bikes
$2000 ? I think I could fit it in my budget but not my garage.
Yeah, I want one, too. Make a nice mount for my Grumman canoe sidecar & take the dog and me to the highway. (just the highway to the local small town) That is a lot of bike for the money. Not that I have the money, but if I didn't keep getting nickled and dimed with one bike build after another I would have the money. Looks like serious alternative fair weather transportation to me. As we all know a build can get pricey even without the high priced stuff... it all adds up. Sweet looking bike. What would you guess, maybe 75 miles to the gallon? Something to think about.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't see motorized bicycles, at least those that we are familiar with becoming a major player in the transportation market anytime soon. There are too many alternatives and attractive pricing for those looking for cheap, registration free transportation. You'd have to build one heck of a bike to compete with the plethora of inexpensive and reliable scooters available to day. There is a nitch market; those wanting something very unique and relatively affordable but as you all know our bikes require a certain level of mechanical competence to keep them running right. People who would pay the price for a well built motorized bicycle, generally speaking, are not going to be the kind to sit in his/her garage and tinker. They want it to start and run, every time and go for miles without a problem. Keep that in mind if you're going to compete with a 6 or $700.00 scooter.

As for that 250 bobber. I'd have to be assured that at least some critical and proprietary parts would remain available even if the U.S. supplier went belly up. If I buy one it won't be daily transportation but just a toy to play with on good weather days. That would take some of the load off the reliability issue for me. It's just a great looking bike that reminds me of the Harley Hummer I had when I was 15.
Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I agree with your assessment Tom. These bikes will never be considered a good choice primarily just for cheap transportation. There's already too much competition in that area. That seems to be the marketing approach many builders take though.

What I think MBs have going for then is, there's really nothing else like them, and they're big fun to ride, without a lot of legal red tape. Anyone expecting to sell them for a living needs to make them in such a way that when people see them they just want one, damn the cost.

If you base sales on low prices rather than high quality, you'll end up with a bunch of cheapskate customers, no profit, and no service repair income. I think the key at this early point in time in the MB world is to create your own market. I have a lot of confidence it can be done if everyone in the country doesn't go broke first.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Another area that I think needs a lot of work is the distribution network for motor kits. There always seems to be very limited choice, and availability. Many of the sellers buy from the same distributor, and have limited stock. Is there even anybody besides Bikeberry?

If you want information about a kit, even something simple like what factory did it come out of, good luck. A little more competition would probably straighten that out.

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
I rode 250+ hours on the last bike we built and sold and the only issue was one slow leak in the rear tire last summer. if a person is building a mb from scrach, yes fabing and moding and problems will arise, but our bikes do not have those problems, the staton trans bolts right in the frame with 2 grade 8 bolts, the chainline is perfect, not one thrown chain, the wheels are handbuilt with quality downhill rims, and the parts are the best american made parts you can buy. Thompson stems and seatposts, chris king headsets, Hayes disc brakes, and the rest Shimano. The engine was a Honda ghx50 4 stroke and a USA made Staton trans and rear hub, again quality components that last. USA ALL THE WAY!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man, I want that bobber. That was what I saw in my head the first time I found MB kits online (Completely by accident)

I know this is not the way most folks think but I really do hope MBs never "catch on" I truly doubt they ever will. Remember when Mopeds came out? It was right around the oil embargo and every one thought we'd all be on em some day.

Kinda fun being the only kid on the block with one. LOL and wanna sell em some day but just so I can work with and on em all day guilt free.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I bought a 150cc scooter from scooterdepot.us last year and I've had lots of fun on it, mine will run 60mph get about 80+mpg and very cheap and easy to maintain........I paid $499 + $239 shipping= $738 for the one I have, it was on a good sale last year, I have done a few upgrades to it and have a few more planned, I have some variator parts ordered and I just bought a new exhaust for it today, I have rejetted the carb and upgraded the ignition.

only trouble I have had is a $20 Voltage Reg. that quit on me after almost 2000 miles and I put a new battery on it which also cost me $20 this year.

I use it when I want to get to town a bit quicker than one of the MB's will get me there, downtown from my home in the country is 10 miles so I can get there twicw as fast on the scoot if I want to since it will cruise real nice at 50+ mph vs 30mph on the MB's.

I like them both just the same, If it has wheels and it goes I'm pretty much interested and will usually enjoy the heck out of it.

the scoots do have to be registered in Texas no matter what the size and the Mopeds do also no matter the size, 50cc or under doesnt mean diddly here anymore..... so I have mine registered and I pay Allstate the $6.30 per month for insurance and just enjoy the 80+ MPG and the 60mph if I need it.

The GY6 engines in these scooters are Honda clones and are very good little engines, overhead cam 4 smokers that will run 7000rpm's almost all day long.

I have included a pic of mine.

Peace

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As always MapMan, good to see ya!

I wanna do a pusher with the GY6 engine and given your thoughts on em, well, put my mind to rest worried if they were any good.

Thanks Buddy.

(Be well and please give a hug to your kid from us. )

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, that's so true. It all matters what you want. What you expect. If I wanted to buy a nice MB, it wouldn't matter to me beans what a cheap scooter cost, it's not a MB.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'll do Bro. and thanks for the kind words.......

As to the GY6 engines, yes they are very good and there are boat loads of mod parts for cheap, SCRAPPYDOGSCOOTERS.COM is where I have got several of my upgraded parts as well as Scooter Performance Parts, GY6 Performance Parts, GY6 engines, GY6 180cc Engine, 50cc GY6, 125cc GY6, 150cc GY6, CDI, Coil, Variator, Clutch, www.monsterGY6.com, Honda Ruckus, Ruckus Frame Extender and a few others, if you make a pusher from one of these engines it will be very cool and a real beast, even the 50cc GY6 would put you in the 40mph range but Ive rode both and I would own the 50cc myself, just not enough power in the stock form, they do make big bore kits for a couple 100 buck that will take the 50cc to a 70cc which might be a good choice if the 150cc is just a tad more HP than you want, the 150's have torque out the wahsoo.....and would be wicked behind a bicycle......no doubt! Here is a link to a forum I belong to which you can find out all you will ever need to know about the GY6 engines.

SCOOTER DOC - Home

Kevin is in a nursing home now, and getting physical theropy everyday, he is speaking and he knows everyone, he is still struggling in several areas but I just thank God for all he has done for him, Doctors are still in disbelief & amazement about how he is doing or the fact that he is even alive. all the test showed he would not be able to do most of what he is, even if he did survive, we are just taking things one day at a time and trusting the Lord to continue the mighty work He has done to this point with him, please just continue to keep him in your prayers......

Thank You........

Peace, Shan

As always MapMan, good to see ya!

I wanna do a pusher with the GY6 engine and given your thoughts on em, well, put my mind to rest worried if they were any good.

Thanks Buddy.

(Be well and please give a hug to your kid from us. )

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
id rather have my mtb any day than a crappy scooter, i dont pay tax or insurance or have any need to m.o.t it every 12mts, plus it can get places where a scooter carn't. and its more fun, and its a head turner...lol

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
To each their own, but to call the scooters crappy is a bit harsh.

Yes all 3 of my MTB's will do things the scoot wont and yes they are also fun to ride and tinker with, but my scoot will do things the MTB wont do, like take me where I'm going much more comfortable, get me there quicker, take me farther with much less worry about breaking down and my wife can get on the back of the scooter with me and we can go cruising into town or just take a nice cruise on the back roads together.

Scooters are a more reliable transportation but my MTB's are very fun and a bit less reliable transportation.........but I like both just the same, as to the crappy comment, that can apply to either one, I have seen some "crappy" MTB's and yes I'm sure that there are some "crappy" scoots also, it's all about what each of us likes and enjoys reguardless of what it is.

Yep, MTB's are cooler if they aren't built "crappy".......LOL!

Peace

.wee.

id rather have my mtb any day than a crappy scooter, i dont pay tax or insurance or have any need to m.o.t it every 12mts, plus it can get places where a scooter carn't. and its more fun, and its a head turner...lol

leezy_1

Oct 15, 2010
manchester
well i guess it all depends on where you live too, as i find after straightening out all the kinks in my MB that's its been pretty reliable apart from the odd flat tyre,it suits me for my needs for now.i have no choice really i got banned from driving, so in away there a god send to get me about more than i would if i had to take the bus or walk, but i did use it before that as it saved me money using the bike rather than the van i had.i think scooters are ok maybe i was abit harsh, its just i carnt ride one..lol

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Agreed about the poor quality comments. I've seen motored bikes (probably including my first attempt, now that I think about it) which I would not trust to take me three blocks without a breakdown or accident and then there are some of the jewels we have admired here on this forum... technically they are also motored bikes, but the difference in quality, beauty and dependability is night and day. As for mopeds... some difference between the bottom of the line and a nice old 3 speed German Sachs or a Puch which were also classified as mopeds, but were more like well made light motorcycles. There are good ones and junk ones. Getting back to that bobber at 2 grand that several of us thought was pretty cool. I still think it's pretty cool and if repair parts were available would certainly consider it as another kind of alternate transportation. As Mapps pointed out, they have their different purposes and values. Most of us who like motored bikes are also drawn to light motorcycles, but many of us can't afford them. I can remember as a boy hearing young men trash the "crappy" English motorcycles coming into the USA at that time... like the 250CC Triumph. No, it wasn't a Harley hog, but I wouldn't mind having one. A little later it was those "crappy" imports from Japan, like Honda and Kawasaki, which would also be welcome in my garage (if I had a garage). What I saw in the video on the bobber did not look or sound like junk to me. It looked like a lot of bike for 2 grand. Just saying.
SB

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Agreed about the poor quality comments. I've seen motored bikes (probably including my first attempt, now that I think about it) which I would not trust to take me three blocks without a breakdown or accident and then there are some of the jewels we have admired here on this forum... technically they are also motored bikes, but the difference in quality, beauty and dependability is night and day. As for mopeds... some difference between the bottom of the line and a nice old 3 speed German Sachs or a Puch which were also classified as mopeds, but were more like well made light motorcycles. There are good ones and junk ones. Getting back to that bobber at 2 grand that several of us thought was pretty cool. I still think it's pretty cool and if repair parts were available would certainly consider it as another kind of alternate transportation. As Mapps pointed out, they have their different purposes and values. Most of us who like motored bikes are also drawn to light motorcycles, but many of us can't afford them. I can remember as a boy hearing young men trash the "crappy" English motorcycles coming into the USA at that time... like the 250CC Triumph. No, it wasn't a Harley hog, but I wouldn't mind having one. A little later it was those "crappy" imports from Japan, like Honda and Kawasaki, which would also be welcome in my garage (if I had a garage). What I saw in the video on the bobber did not look or sound like junk to me. It looked like a lot of bike for 2 grand. Just saying.
SB
When I think about it,

I bought a brand new 850 Norton in 1974. I loved that bike, and rode for 2 years till I crashed it into oblivion, but I'd have to say that it was so unreliable it made even my China Girl seem like a Honda.