My new engine is weaker than my other engine? Any opinions why?

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
I have 2 engines currently installed on 2 separate bikes. On 1 bike that I call "Ol Betsy" ,lol, I had the engine for about 9 months or so, and it running Absolutely GREAT! The bike itself has 27" wheels. Now on my new bike, I have a Black Limited Edition Slant head 80cc from Zoombicycles and I had it for about 3 weeks now. So far it went through roughly 3-4 tanks of gas which is about 2 gallons roughly. When I am running the 2 bikes side by side the older engine performs really really good, and the new black slant head just runs ok but is slower while there are 44t on each wheel. I did take into account that the 27" on "Ol Betsy" make a little difference but I really believe the slant head and expansion chamber on the new black engine should make a difference as well. Is there any reason that you guys can come up with? I thought that my engine isn't full broken in so I wont see a performance increase as yet. I am in the process of adjusting my carb as well.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I have 2 engines currently installed on 2 separate bikes. On 1 bike that I call "Ol Betsy" ,lol, I had the engine for about 9 months or so, and it running Absolutely GREAT! The bike itself has 27" wheels. Now on my new bike, I have a Black Limited Edition Slant head 80cc from Zoombicycles and I had it for about 3 weeks now. So far it went through roughly 3-4 tanks of gas which is about 2 gallons roughly. When I am running the 2 bikes side by side the older engine performs really really good, and the new black slant head just runs ok but is slower while there are 44t on each wheel. I did take into account that the 27" on "Ol Betsy" make a little difference but I really believe the slant head and expansion chamber on the new black engine should make a difference as well. Is there any reason that you guys can come up with? I thought that my engine isn't full broken in so I wont see a performance increase 'as yet. I am in the process of adjusting my carb as well.
"Ol Betsy" is not going to put up with a new kid on the block . She's the boss of this roadshow .

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Engine kits vary immensely in quality, and power output. You may just need break in time, or you may have a case of one engine just being better (or worse) than the other.

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Lol. I would really like the slant to be better. I put a little more work into it. Wow. Personally I think and hope that its just a little more Break in time because when I had Ol betsy it was a little recently and she got some more power after this extremely long commute about 2 weeks ago. But I would like to get a second opinion.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've heard of these having more power (running better )when the fuel would get turned off and the fuel got low in the carb.,,,,it was portrayed as a possible bad thing ,starving the motor for much needed fuel/OIL mix needed too lube,,,,,could the filter it the tank or inline need cleaning or replaced?,,dirt above the needle/seat inlet?,,maybe use a new plug and check the color for mix?

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Very interested that you bring that up! I used to do that to the motors before! Turning off the petcock and letting the gas run down. and there was a BIG difference in performance. This morning I lowered the e clip on the carb needle to the highest position. I think its about time that i started messing around with the jets. I actually checked the filter and carb for debre but no sign. The plug I have is an NGKBP7HS brand new. I am in the process of checking the color of the spark for the mix. but Since i highered the E clip in carb needle performance did indeed get better. I believe I will be trying a .68mm and a .66mm jet from SBP for further testing.