Question: I read on clutch use:

GoldenMotor.com

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
I saw a post in here about wearing out a clutch very quickly. So, when I come to a stop, how is best slow pull, or all the way at once on the clutch handle? Do you think. My motor is brand new..duh.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I've seen round pads and the wedge shaped type. Mine are round. I have a suspition that the wedge type are much better. I ordered 2 sets from ebay and have been very careful with the clutch but you have givin me an idea. Just in case the original pads might have been made of a cheaper material, I'm going to see if these pads will wear out as quickly as the original. I have an extra set so its time to have some added fun again, for at least a week anyway.zpt

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I saw a post in here about wearing out a clutch very quickly. So, when I come to a stop, how is best slow pull, or all the way at once on the clutch handle? Do you think. My motor is brand new..duh.
The trick to making your clutch last forever is to pedal the bike when starting from a dead stop & let the clutch out easy. Don't try to take off like a motorcycle using only the clutch.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am approaching 9,000 miles with one motor and I am still using the original pads. I have not even adjusted the clutch yet.

But like Venice pointed out, I always pedal before releasing the clutch.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The only way you could/should use the clutch for unassisted take off is if your gearing is low enough. Most standard kits don't come with such low gearing (large bolt-on rear sprocket).

Only a pea sized dab of sticky grease should be used on the clutch gears. Any more and it will get on the back side of the friction pads. A couple words about those magic pads. They should be clean, as mentioned, but also take a second to see how they actually work, then make sure the pads float fairly easily in the big gear hub "slots". They need to be squeezed freely from both sides.