someone tell me its not dead

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Happy Hollidays,
going along today she just quit my Z280 seems to have ceased and I cant figure why,thought a vapor lock ,pulled the plug and she wont turn,I am very picky with my oil mix I really depend on this because I am layed off so I really cany afford to replace but I cant afford for it not to run.....someone tell me I can fix this.....Thanx ...ROB:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
is the piston seized? give us some more info...
Bairdco is right. We need more information. When you say, "She won't turn", does that mean the crankshaft will not rotate, or the engine will not start? If the crankshaft is seized then you have serious problems. If it just won't start, begin with the obvious things, Fuel, Air, and Ignition. Prove all three and get back to us with either more info or results of your tests. We'll try our darnest to help.
Tom

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
I had one die on me like that, just 50 miles on the damned thing. I was idling and the engine stopped, then when I went to pedal start it, I couldn't pedal. The gears weren't locked because I could pedal with the clutch in, so I assumed that either the piston seized up or something broke inside the motor. When I pulled it of the bike I had to turn the engine over to get the chain off. It would not turn forward, but it would turn backwards! And the damned piston went up and down too!!! I can only assume that a bearing broke or came loose stopping it from going forward. It was under warranty so I never took it apart. You may want to pop it open and look inside though, you never know.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
My motor is upside down but my carb mounts rightside up - I went to start it one morning a few days after I got it , and it was ceased. Then I found out that gas leaked into the cylinder over night. When I removed the plug, gas poured out . I was really happy that it was not ceased. I blew out the plug, wiped it,put it back in, and it fired right up.:):):):)

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Well Cabinfever, that's the way they designed it . Right now the system is mounted on my winter bike. There are pictures of it on page two in the pic&video section-second up from the bottom, titled "The Mud Hog my winter bike" that is the 35cc, and my 48cc mounts the same way. as a matter of fact, the gear boxes and auto clutches are the same size.:):) :-/

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Yea -sorry to hear about that. To me, ceased always meant one thing; The piston is frozen-the crank will not turn. Maybe it was oil starvation in an overheating situation.
You dudes are right about there not being enough information.
Ya know something funny? When I was young and ridding Ski-Doo ,I would always see the gas flowing back to the tank through the return line. My motor has a return line also but the only time I see gas flowing through it is when i push the primer button.:-/

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Thanx for the input guys,I was praying for a vapor lock situation....yes,no turn means No movement although im not sure if its the piston or something connecting to it...Oil starvation is impossible unless cold weather can make the mix seperate,several times she has died and was simply flooded.I need to see if the piston will actually move,its possible shes dead but I aint admitting that yet.....More later...Thanx

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
I had one die on me like that, just 50 miles on the damned thing. I was idling and the engine stopped, then when I went to pedal start it, I couldn't pedal. The gears weren't locked because I could pedal with the clutch in, so I assumed that either the piston seized up or something broke inside the motor. When I pulled it of the bike I had to turn the engine over to get the chain off. It would not turn forward, but it would turn backwards! And the damned piston went up and down too!!! I can only assume that a bearing broke or came loose stopping it from going forward. It was under warranty so I never took it apart. You may want to pop it open and look inside though, you never know.
well, this seems to be closer to the answer I was after.....More likeky too,warantee?....gone months ago,the engine has served me well though....great service...mabey its a simple fix,if I have to replace so be it she dosnt owe me a penny(-: thanx for your input.....Merry Christmas
.......guess ill grab a bus schedule till this is resolved/-: gettin Cold here anyway

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I've often wondered if there were any other Trekkies here. Now I know there's at least one.
Tom
Actually I hated the series. What with cardboard sets and Kirk ripping his shirt off and demolishing advanced races left and right. I was a fan of Space 1999. You know, the one that predicted we'd have cites on the moon ten years ago. :rolleyes:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
The fastest and easiest way to confirm whether your engine is locked
up or not, is to remove the spark plug and roll the bike back and forth to here the piston move up and down. If it is still locked up, then remove the left side chain cover and look to see if the drive chain is bunched up around the sprocket. That's the most frequent cause.