32t or 36t

GoldenMotor.com

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Hey All, I'm planning on getting a either a 32 t or 36t sprocket for my bike.. I'm using the stock 44t right now..

Will the speed gain be great?
32t or 36t?
i really got no hills here in singapore so i guess it should not be a problem for me..

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Hey All, I'm planning on getting a either a 32 t or 36t sprocket for my bike.. I'm using the stock 44t right now..

Will the speed gain be great?
32t or 36t?
i really got no hills here in singapore so i guess it should not be a problem for me..
not sure where it is now, but someone has done the math re: speed/sprocket ratio, but the standard accepted gig is a 44t you'll top out around 30mph, and for each tooth less, add up to one mph. so a 36t should pull you at 37 to 38, provided you have the power. i run a 36t on my racer and it does in fact do a little over 40, but thats with engine mods

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Will the speed gain be great? 32t or 36t?
Don't be surprised if your top speed actually does down like on some of my bikes. It's the smooth cruise that's really nice.

That being said I'd like to find low cost 32t to take advantage of the low end torque with my new tuned pipe.

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
actually i just wanna go faster.. i'll be getting a sbp pipe soon.. so should i use the sbp pipe with 44t or 36t? thx

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
actually i just wanna go faster.. i'll be getting a sbp pipe soon.. so should i use the sbp pipe with 44t or 36t? thx
DEFINITELY 36t. I had to run my tuned pipe bike with 44t yesterday due to broken spokes on the 36t and it was ridiculous revving at cruise. I'm wishing I had 32t but not for speed.

Like I said don't be surprised if you end up with lower speed at WOT with either of these. Smaller sprocket does not always result in higher top speed.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Unless you are under 175 lbs. or so, I'd go for the 36T, especially if you are planning on adding a tuned pipe.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
I am 210 lbs and a 32 tooth rocks! This is on a 66cc slant head.

From a dead stop just peadal a little and let out the clutch and it will scream.

Top speed, a 32 is faster than a 36.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
A hill has nothing to do with it. At some point if the hill is steep enough (on the down grade) the 32 will stay in the power longer than a 36 before it winds out. Now if you are building a hill climbing bike a larger sprocket will have more power to get up the hill. The 36 will have more torque to CLIMB and out perform a 32 on a up hill battle.

So lets keep this on flat land for sake of getting you too confused....(just a fun jab) :)

The smaller the sprocket the faster the top end speed will be, the larger the sprocket the faster the acceleration will be. This is assuming the front sprocket stays the same. Pure physics.

Last edited:

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Firstly, a hill has a LOT to do with it. Secondly, you have it backwards. Pure physics. :)
I find this fun. I have stated why my statement is true. Lets hear yours.

Just so you know, I am a ex expert class roadracer in the 600 cc class. I have raced road atlanta, daytona, robeling road, carloina motor sports park and a few more. Each race we changed sprockets for the track and track conditions. I think I know what i'm talking about....or have I been wrong for all these years? :)

Im all ears! :) Also re-read post 11, I spelled it out a bit better, wich may have been why we differ on this but I doubt it. :)

Last edited:

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
hahaha the smaller the sproket the faster you will go, no doubt about it, i have rode a bike with the smallest possible sproket you can fit with the mesh adapters, now this bike has a nice, fast, very smooth cruse on flat ground, but never raps out, just not enough power

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I find this fun. I have stated why my statement is true. Lets hear yours.

Just so you know, I am a ex expert class roadracer in the 600 cc class. I have raced road atlanta, daytona, robeling road, carloina motor sports park and a few more. Each race we changed sprockets for the track and track conditions. I think I know what i'm talking about....or have I been wrong for all these years? :)

Im all ears! :) Also re-read post 11, I spelled it out a bit better, wich may have been why we differ on this but I doubt it. :)
It's quite simple. As the ratio goes down so does torque. And it is torque that makes bikes go not horsepower. You should know this. It is the reason we have reduction in these and don't mount the rear wheel directly to the crankshaft to go 400mph. It is why they don't make 10t rear sprockets.

Maybe "expert class roadracer in the 600 cc class" will not notice this but anybody who has tried different sprockets on our 2hp engines does. Two of my bikes have less top speed when I put on 36t sprocket. They are 50cc not 600cc. This is the voice of experience, not armchair engineering.

And if you are sticking to your story that "hills have nothing to do with this" then you have zero credibilty. And your statement about "hill is steep enough the 32 will stay in the power longer than a 36" appears to be a typo (we are talking about rear sprockets, right?). Otherwise your going negative on credibility.

Smaller rear sprocket does not aways increase speed.

Last edited:

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Haha, Mr Armchair, why dont you put on a 150 tooth sprocket then?

Match the sprocket to the power and duh, you got a winner thats obvious. These motors will pull a 44 tooth and a 28 tooth. You will notice a big difference between the two. Still standing by my armchair, and previous statement. :)

Some of us are running 66 cc slantheads, with that motor you can tell a difference!

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Haha, Mr Armchair, why dont you put on a 150 tooth sprocket then?

Match the sprocket to the power and duh, you got a winner thats obvious. These motors will pull a 44 tooth and a 28 tooth. You will notice a big difference between the two. Still standing by my armchair, and previous statement. :)

Some of us are running 66 cc slantheads, with that motor you can tell a difference!
As I've mentioned several times my Zoom slant 66c bikes did beneifit from a 36t. That doesn't make your statements any less ridiculous. BTW I am a professional engineer not armchair. And if anything should be addressed as Dr Armchair as I have completed a doctoral program. Probably before you we born from the sound of things. :)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
A hill has nothing to do with it. At some point if the hill is steep enough (on the down grade) the 32 will stay in the power longer than a 36 before it winds out.

Now if you are building a hill climbing bike a larger sprocket will have more power to get up the hill. The 36 will have more torque to CLIMB and out perform a 32 on a up hill battle.
I see you've improved your post a bit. Now that you add "downgrade" the old statement is true but not too relevant. When we talk about hills here it's generally about going UP them. As I mentioned in the other thread it's easy to go downhill at 55-60mph but if the engine is engaged it will most likely sustain damage. For several reasons.

A popular phrase on this forum: "Downhill Don't Count"

But then you tack on this last statement which is not always true:

The smaller the sprocket the faster the top end speed will be
If you now add the disclaimer "provided you have the power" like Spunout did earlier, we will be on the same wavelength.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc
Dr. :) We are on the same wave length, if you dont have the power this is irrevelant to start with. I was thinking this over and came to the conclusion that must be where we differ before I came to post this lol.

I also agree down hill dont count, and I am older than you think.

With ENOUGH power my statement would be true. Where is my super handy dandy gear ratio chart when I need it?

Come on, lets dont agree just yet....I had some good Dr. jabs I wanted to throw in just for fun! :) LOL

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Alright.. So i guess ill just get other stuff for m bike before i get the 36t..

Thanks for all your input guys..
appreciate it.