Panama Jack from Wally World..

GoldenMotor.com

Moparkansas

Jan 22, 2016
Olathe, KS
I’ve always wanted to build a motorized bike and when I saw this Huffy Panama Jack on clearance at Walmart for $63 and change I finally found my victim. I purchased a “Cheez” pk80 motor kit and have it mostly figured out.

I am in the process of polishing the engine covers and I am going to take the engine back out to give it the painted and polished fin look.

I just ordered a supposedly better exhaust, head, carb and intake from Bicycle Motor Works. Here is the head and exhaust:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Head...t-66-80cc-for-Motorized-Bicycle-/231308846866

The carb and intake kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Carb...121736?hash=item3f45ed5688:g:es0AAOSwWKtUyA4D

I also will be running fenders It looks like these have a strap and an L through them like some suggest. See the attached pictures. What else to I need to do to them to keep them safe?

I have stocked up on loctite and double nuts and re-greased all the bearings - any other suggestions besides ditching the Huffy? Seems like I've seen that one a lot!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Your choice of bike is okay. There are many motorized versions of the Panama. Use our 'Search', type in Panama Jack.

You asked for suggestions.
Do not start by adding all of your go-fast parts until the engine is broken in and tuned. After that install one item at a time. This way you'll know what works and what doesn't. This is a common mistake a lot of new builders make. They start modifications and adding parts before the engine has had a chance to run. Bigger carburetors, expansion chamber exhausts, high compression heads are all fine but not all at once and not until you've put a few tanks of fuel through the engine.

Keep a very close watch on your fenders and their mounts. Fenders are nice and if installed with care are good to have but be aware that they can cause serious injury if they come loose at any speed.

Good luck with your project and share some photos when it's finished.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
We're glad you joined up.

I'll have to guess that the Panama Jack has the same components, and same frame, as the Cranbrook. This is something that I'd be willing to bet on.

That said, it's not a bad bike at all. But it has a few weak spots that'll need to be looked after. One would be your rear hub/coaster brake. The one that came stock is not really very good at all. Keep it clean and well lubed. Even then it might not last forever. But it might last you a while. And it's cheap enough to replace it with something better.

Does this bike have the rear rack that's welded right to the frame at the rear seat stays? If so, you'd best reinforce that particular spot.

I'd take those fenders and drill/cut away those mounts. Then enlarge the hole. Get some 1/2x1/8 inch flat steel at a home improvement or hardware store. Bend that into an "L" shape. Have enough sticking out the top to fasten it to the frame. Just like the fenders do now. Run about 6 inches or more under the fender. Drill and bolt together for a whole new fender mount.

I"m one of those guys who says that you must have fenders if you want to use your bike in the real world. But, as 2door says, they can be dangerous if they come loose. So the fix is that you mount them with something that won't break.

Best of luck and have fun.

Moparkansas

Jan 22, 2016
Olathe, KS
I did drill out the rivets on the fenders and added a large fender washer underneath the bracket and a smaller washer on top and put a bolt and locktited lock nut through it to hold it all together. I also replaced all the fender support screws with allen headed fasteners backed with locktited lock nuts. I'll check to see how things are holding up after a few miles. When it warms up a little may do a more extensive fix with steel strapping as you suggested

I'm still undecided on the cooler on front. I was thinking of leaving it and building some type of box to hide a battery in later. Here is a pic of how it currently sits. Still polishing engine covers and waiting for a couple of parts.

Attachments

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Timemachines from my last link:
"I cut my back rack off, and made new back bones, with mild steel from tractor sales (TSC)"

Cranbrook's tend to crack 2-3" from the seat tube so re- enforce this area with heavier tubing also.

If you are going to do all this you might as well add some heavy BMX style dropouts so that you can use
chain tensioners. Also consider adding a couple inches to the wheelbase.

Last edited:

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
I suggest you ride the wheels off it and start another to ride so you have one to ride while your waiting on parts to fixing one. Like you said $63 bicycle. See if you like riding, and dont get no cop with a bug up his ass in your area and build another better bike from what you learn. USUALLY the better quality bicycle you start with the longer it will last, but budget also plays a roll.
Im sure there are very few here that have one bicycle. Lol
ENJOY AND RIDE SAFE
WELCOME TO THE FOURM dance1

Moparkansas

Jan 22, 2016
Olathe, KS
I got my exhaust most of the way finished today. I looked for someone to weld it up for me, but neither Midas or Meineke wanted the job. So I broke out the welder and made some chicken scratches. First pic shows as I tacked it up on the bike and the second is as it will be mounted I couldn't get it bent without cutting it so I cut the flange off, cut three slices in the middle and cut it at the expansion chamber for easy rear adjustment. The rear mounting bracket nearly lined up with the seat post bolt so I adjusted it so that it did. Fits nice and close to the rear rack. Unlucky for my bike that I am a bad welder but lucky for my bike that I am a good grinder! I used the flange off the exhaust that came with my original kit as it was much heavier duty. I also trimmed it to match the port.

Attachments

Moparkansas

Jan 22, 2016
Olathe, KS
It is all together and complete now with the shiny new head, exhaust all fitted to the gasket and welded and painted and polished covers on the chain side of the engine. I painted the clutch cover on the other side because it had a big casting flaw right in the middle. I also painted the engine and filed off the fins which was more work than I thought it would be due to the variance in the fin castings. Had a big pile of aluminum and probably saved and ounce in weight!

The exhaust was also pretty tough. Thought I was done about three times and burned a hole in that thin expansion chamber metal and had to go back and refill the hole. Hope to actually start it up Saturday as it is supposed to be about 65 degrees here in KC.

brnot

Attachments

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well.....you certainly have built yourself a good looking bike there. Nice job.

65 deg this weekend, huh? Nice riding weather. Things are coming together, aren't they?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Super nice engine detailing too. looks easier than I bet that was. Congrats mopark. Hope the first run goes well.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the forum, great looking bike you put together. Like some others said keep an eye on the frame where the others have had problems, if the frame turns out to be a dud you can pick up a vintage US made steel frame for short money....you have everything else. My first couple builds were wally world bikes a couple things you could check before riding. Spoke tension, just check to make sure no loose spokes, the bottom bracket bearings on my bikes the bearings were put in backwards, you could take this time to clean the crappy "grease" and do them up with good axle grease, the same for the rear hub they are minimally greased and the coaster brake is your only brake make sure it is working correctly http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/coaster-hub-overhaul-pedal-brake-hub#article-section-2 also spend a few bucks on a good chain tool and get some slack out of your chain http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=304

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
filed off the engine fins? will that not cause over heating issues?
Certainly not with that big CNC head. I filed mine down about 1/8" and had no concerns...but I added a big CNC head also. I've been pretty amazed at how well these engines stay pretty cool using good synthetic oil. But we haven't driven hard in 100 degree heat yet either. Sure looks nice with the fins evened up though. .trk