Finally Put the PooPoo on it.

GoldenMotor.com

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
My stock CG muffler bugged me since I couldn't take the guts out and look at them. I never liked how it hung off the studs, threatening to work them till something got broken, too. Sticking out front like that, it could get smacked and bust the cylinder. Blah.

I saw a medium length black exhaust system and ordered it only to find out it would never fit my big onex 29" beach cruiser bike. I put it on the shelf til I felt like dealing with it.

I pulled off the original mufflah and test fit the PP. I found I had to egg out the mounting holes to swing it away from the front mount, grind away some extra steel off the clamp on the same mount, cut and extend the straight part 2 3/4 to clear the crank, and find a way to support it just before the muffler.
No big deal, except I don't have a welder or acetylene rig..

SBP sells high temp silicon hose, I saw they used it on their expansion pipes.
Hmm
I cut some pieces for seals and made a short pipe that would fit over the ends of the cut poopoo. I had to emory cloth the ends of the cut pipe, and the inside of the extension to get rid of a seam in there. The extension was cut from the original onex handlebar, being the perfect size I lopped off a piece.

The back hanger is a piece of iron strap from an old hanging planter I found, drilled and bolted with the same bolt that attaches the rear of the chainguard.
It's like a letter T at the pipe, and pieces of silicon hose on the crossbar holds it together.
The picture doesn't show the hanger since it was just a mock up of the pipe for fit when it was taken. Those hose pieces near the tensioner are farther back now, holding it up.
The plumbing flange and nut that attach the muffler could be improved upon.
It will have to be checked all the time.

I started it up and the sound is completely different than the stock muffler. It is edgy and crisp, the pip pip pips are sharp and metallic and every misfire or bit of 4 stroking is right in your face. It sounds like a dirtbike with a burnt out silencer. ;)
It's definitely louder than stock, but not to the point of being a nuisance.
At least I hope not. A little glass packing may be just what it needs.
I might stuff it with a small wad if I can pack it in there somehow.

Now here's the odd part, why I wrote this- the engine runs cooler with it, and I found my NGK 7 plug oily and cold looking.
Putting in the 6 fixed that right up and the plug is looking fine again.
I think maybe the longer pipe lets the gasses get out of the cylinder faster, causing the drop in running temps.
The jetting wasn't affected but just a tiny bit, it runs a hair richer now for reasons not well understood by me. I expected the opposite.

As far as power, so far it is a half mile an hour slower on top (richer), feels about the same at lower speeds with a little bit more noise. I'm cool with that, I mostly ride between 19 and 24, about half throttle most the time.

It looks better than the baloney pipe hanging off the engine, and is up out of the way. They got the curve just right on the downpipe, it looks pretty good.
My rubbers aren't helping the looks, I might get an old bud to weld it over at his house but he's 50 miles away, so they'll do for now.

I hope this helps guys looking at these pipes like I was. They're easier to install on a standard size frame, no doubt.

The poopoo is louder and nastier sounding, with sharp pips and blaps.
A hair slower
A hair richer (on my bike)
A bit cooler running.
Hope this was of some use to someone looking at the poopoos.
Thanks!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes, it is useful because I ponder a poo pipe from time to time. Thanks.

I haven't gotten around to it yet because I like the simplicity of the stock exhaust and 'cosmetics' is really the only reason I'd go longer.

But I might just do it someday.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio

I haven't gotten around to it yet because I like the simplicity of the stock exhaust and 'cosmetics' is really the only reason I'd go longer.

Cosmetics is really the only advantage, other than being tucked out of the way.
It does have a more motorcycley sound, but that's about it.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I would have to say it is a tad bit more then just cosmetic. I have the long pipe on my bike and would have to say the added benefits ....some already pointed out here would be that although a bit noisier, the noise is positioned behind the rider and thus not quite as loud to the rider. I have a handlebar mounted radio that I couldn't crank loud enough to hear over a stock pipe...so I would have to plug my ear buds into it. With the long pipe I am at least able to hear my handlebar stereo without the ear buds although still not as good as I like, but it is better and a quite noticeable difference.

As stated above...there is also less risk of catching the long muffler on something or banging it into something sticking up. The stock muffler hangs low and is in a vulnerable location for potential damage to muffler and engine head.

I think my long muffler may give the engine just a tad more torque then the stock muffler as well. Although I gained no speed and by no means did I gain a dramatic increase, but it does seem to pull hills with a bit more grunt then the stock muffler.

So I do think there are some minor benefits to using the long poo poo style pipe over the stock pipe and really I can't think of anything negative to say about the long pipes unless you get one that just don't want to fit well and requires lots of modification. I have mounted three different ones on three different bikes and 2 out of the 3 were easy upgrades and one pipe was a major pain in the rear and had all the bends in all the wrong places. I ended up ruining that one do to whacking it against the vice 10 times out of frustration. Patience was not one of my virtues that day.LOL

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Hey Cap'n K
Did you have to rejet or adjust the needle when you put the pipes on those bikes?
Mine stayed more or less the same. I did have the stinger pipe cut inside my old muffler, maybe that freed it up enough to flow about the same as the long pipe.
Just curious.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Slogger

Didn't change a thing from stock jet size or 2nd notch "C" clip location. However I do think it tends to run a tad richer in the mid range on up...which may account for the bit of added torque over the stock muffler in going up grades when a larger charge of fuel is required.

I also want to add that I run opti-2 mixed 100:1 with an added splash of castor. So results may vary depending on what fuel mix one is using.

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois

If you ever make it out to my place for a ride...I have one hanging on the garage wall you can have. Its the new one I had trouble fitting on a bike a couple years ago and has a few dents in the pipe itself, but the muffler is perfect and unused and the pipe is still useable. Come out for a ride sometime and you can have it.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Also forgot to say... that sure is a good looking bike!
Thanks
I always thought it came out a little namby-pamby, maybe if I take off the rack and put a setback seatpost on there, lose the fenders and pull the bars back..
;)
The blah color and lack of shiny stuff was deliberate. If it was all flashy it would have got stolen by now. I can shove it into the bushes by the road and leave, nobody would ever notice it there. (I've done it once.)

It seems odd how the pipes don't change the jetting, and I bet you're right about the torquey mid range. I've only ridden it a few miles and all on the flat.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I took it for a longer ride today. I got a hair better top end speed, so that's cool.
The noise seemed less today. Maybe my silicon tubing pipe joints are sealing up.
The bike ran great, and a fun ride was had (except I burned my ankle a little on that silly exhaust pipe, what's that doin there?)
A couple, each on their own Harleys caught up with me at a stop sign.
He says, Wanna Race?
I said, I don't wanna take all your money!
hahaha
All in all, I love the poopoo now.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Here's a couple of pics with the hanger shown, took the rack off to see if it looked much better. I never really use it anyway, except as a mount for a tail light.
They're blurry and small, the site did that shrinking them to size, I guess.
You can see the hangar strap is pretty minimal, but it's strong enough and spaced out from the chain guard.

I guess this one's in the can.
Happy Trails!

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looks great! If I might offer one suggestion....you may want to add another set of fender braces to the front fender. I am a fender guy myself, but they can be quite hazardous if left to the stock mounting hardware. They just were not designed for endless vibration that comes with motorizing a bike. I sure you are already aware of this issue, but just happened to notice in your photo that it appears to only have one fender brace in the front?
Anyhow...that is a good looking machine and the long pipe just looks like it belongs there. Well done.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Well thanks, CK. I kept everything tucked away and made me a comfortable bike with plenty of room for my long legs and 260 pound self. It's a wally world bike but the welds are more than acceptable, if not pretty. Feels stiff with no flex at all. The ride is smooooth. I trued the wheels after 350 motorized miles and only had to adjust 6 or 7 spokes on each end, and they were only out a bit. These aren't bad bikes, not for 150 bucks. The fenders would fall off within 30 miles if left stock, though, the original mounts were just little tabs.
I took good care of the fenders before they got painted. They each have 3" mild steel brackets, 90 degree shelf type, each one is 5/32" thick, drilled and tapped for 2 10-32 cap screws. Before bolting the brackets to the fenders I ran a bead of JB weld between them and then tightened em down. The excess screws are grond off flush. A coat of plasti-dip keeps them from rusting and deadens vibration. If you look close at the front you can see how its fit was messed up by the thickness of the new mount, forcing it out of its original position.
A fair trade. The rear has two mounting points plus the brace, the bottom one was drilled and tapped to a larger size and the new bolt head makes me deflate the tire to put it on the bike cuz of the crappy drop outs.
Everyone that looks at it mentions the fenders.
I put some new pics in the album, they're all public, I think.

Those skinny braces are actually thick music wire with eyelets formed at the end and loc tited good. Even the little bolts and nuts that tie them to the fenders are lock washered and loctited. The fenders are surprisingly good made of rigid steel.
It has 400 miles on it now, and they're as solid as ever.
I followed a good thread about killer fenders and paid special attention to them.
I love me fenders and wanted to have them, but they still had to be clean so I hid the braces up under.
You are right, though, they are dangerous.
Now if I could keep the new muffler from fallin off...
;)

Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Sounds like you have the fender issue well taken care of. Your system of mounting them sounds very similar to how I done mine as well and mine have held up well also. I just couldn't bring myself to run a bike without fenders.....especially a cruiser.

That muffler can be a pain to get tight, I used a couple drilled out thin washers as donut gaskets where the muffler screws to the large nut on the pipe. I just couldn't get it tight enough without adding those shims.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
This one came with a thick fiber washer, the nut tightens down if you are an octopus.
Since the pipe has been cut the end of the pipe is free to swivel when you try to tighten it.
Ya have to hold the muffler and the tail pipe as the nut's tightened.
I need three hands a big crescent and two pipe wrenches.
A muffler shop down the road could put a spot weld on the nut.
I don't need to take it off, and if I ever do I'll grind off the spot.
Or I could drill it, tap it and run a screw right through the nut and flange.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Uh oh
I was riding around, it was warmed up and buzzing happy like, then there was this loud POP! and the engine just kept on buzzing along, I felt for a flat, nithing wrong..
Did this thing just backfire? It sounded like a .22 pistol went off on the right side of the bike. The pipe is on the other side.
I never noticed it backfiring before, with the baloney pipe.
You guys ever heard a poopoo fart?

Edit- everything looks ok except the cylinder wall wasn't as oily as it usually is, I mixed up some dubious gas today. I think it got hot and detonated some gas in the pipe.
NBD, drained the tank and will get fresh gas tomorrow.

Last edited: