IDEA! Hidrophobic coated tires for Friction Drive in Rain!!!?

GoldenMotor.com

Daniel FC

Mar 20, 2016
Chile
I thought yesterday that the solution for rainy days with the friction drive could be the perfect hidrophobic coating (spray) for the tires and the friction wheel. Haven't triyed yet, but think it might work what do you guys thinks, greetings from the south of Chile.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I had been thinking of with using Rustolem Never Wet. If the hype is true it might work or at least help. Thought about using it on my boats hull too. Might be faster as in theory its not in the water--haha.

Daniel FC

Mar 20, 2016
Chile
yes its been proven that reduces drag in 20%, the propper apply could be hidrophobic textile glued to de hull or hidrophoci paint but requires painting every 6 months

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I imagine that hydrophobic mating surfaces would have the OPPOSITE affect of what you're looking for. In any case, I expect that the coating would very quickly be destroyed by the harsh friction. Furthermore, I suspect that hydrophobic tires would be extremely dangerous in wet conditions: it would be like riding on ice.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Hate to be a wet-blanket about rainy days (pardon the pun) but I have to agree with Kioshk here. I think the hydrophobic spray may work in similar fashion to Teflon. If you're going to test this, please wear pads and helmet so we won't worry a lot about you. I anticipate one of two things happening: 1) likely the friction drive will contact the tire and make a *vvvwhishzzz* sound and be unable to get any traction to propel you, 2) It may just barely get enough traction to get you moving but, on the wet streets, you find yourself sliding and skidding around like a greased hockey puck on ice. But if a third thing happens, and this actually works, please do let us know. I would be very glad to be wrong about this, because it really is a good idea on paper. And I wish it could work.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Threadcronancy!!!

NeveWet SUCKS! Hydrophobic? No! More like "temporarily water repellent", any kind of friction and the stuff is gone. I've used it on all kinds of stuff, boots, coats, guns, a tent, all the stuff it says it's for. The only thing that I've used it on, and it's stayed and remained functional, are a few electronic components in close proximity to wa-wa. Even then, it only sticks to places that don't generate heat, which seems to be an enemy to this stuff, making it USELESS in Arizona. In my experience, WD-40 is much better for keeping things water free, if used properly.

Remember folks, WD-40 is neither a solvent, nor a lubricant, it is a Water Displacement formula. While it can serve as solvent or lube, there are better products for such, but as a water displacer, it is unrivaled. I've used as such in ways most would never think of, like flushing a transmission that had somehow gotten water inside. It was my '85 CJ7, the four speed sucked up some wet, probably through a leaky seal during a creek fording, and had about half a gallon of water inside. After draining my gear oil, there was lots of water left behind, I flushed it with WD while idleing, that tranny is still rock solid!
Sorry, had to rant!