New Build... Need ideas

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Well guys I am doing a new build. I have $500 to spend, no more. I need ideas for my build. I need it to be reliable, and look good doing it. Probably 4 stroke. I live in a very hilly area so it needs to have enough power to lug me around. I weigh about 150.

Bike: Cruiser
Engine: 4smoke
Speed: 30 ish tops
Cost: $500

ORRR, I could go the electric route. No clue how much these cost, and the power, and the speed, and the likes. Could someone educate me?

.shft.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Electric is expensive. Forget that with your budget. What kind of building skills do you have? How familiar are you with this stuff? If it is all new to you you may have some trouble staying within budget if you want to go four stroke. If you are handy then maybe you can. If it were me I'd give a hard look at a Cantilever framed bike so you have plenty of room. A predator engine is going to cost less than just about anything and give you 98cc to work with which is plenty. Then take a look at the in frame friction builds of WayneZ and Cannonball2, maybe others by now. Looks like a good way to go and pretty low budget.
If you are not handy, then go with a two stroke kit on whatever you like. You can stay within budget and learn a whole lot. Later on tackle something more ambitious or costly.
Nothing is written in stone. These are just thoughts off the top of my head.
Good luck.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I agree with SB the HF motors are the best bang for your 4 stroke buck, but you need to be a bit handy. A good solid US made canti frame is a great start, but you will quickly go over your budget building one up. Look for a bike with as much of what you need already on it. My first bike was a Walmart bike I got for $99 The Schwinn Landmark from walmart always seemed a decent deal for 139. front and rear brakes, multi-speed, I would def upgrade the wheels though.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Hmm, what would I need to do the predator build? Although I personally do not like friction, is there a way to do it chain or belt drive?

I would say I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I have access to a well stocked auto shop for tools, welder, and whatever except cnc/mill.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
hey Froze, AGK sells a chain-drive transmission that will work. Check it out. You'll need a motor mount plate, rear sprocket, throttle, and fuel tank too. You could re-use the HF fuel tank if you can find an appropriate place to put it tho.

With your weight, a Huasheng would work, too. My MaB and I together weigh about 300lbs, but my little Huasheng doesn't have problems getting me up most hills. Huasheng is a little more expensive than a Pred and has less power, but it's a legal engine.

tsujinago

Dec 5, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Nice video that demonstrates where and how NOT to ride a motorized bicycle IMO. It just goes against all logic and any law I know of making thing harder for the rest of us in this hobby.

Sorry but I had to comment on the observation.
Pretty sure if he was riding on the right side of the road it'd be far harder to film right

Also, 'm considering a predator build as well, but the AGK jackshaft is a bit expensive for being a jackshaft. Personally trying a rack mount on a heavier duty mountain bike - will report back if it works out, but the rack itself so far has been around $30-50 in steel and $15 in tools.

Also, people on some minibike forum have said that the Predator's shaft is just a smidge bigger than 5/8" (16mm or something). May need to take some sandpaper to it or something while it's running to fit a 5/8" clutch, dunno.

Last edited:

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Alright, so if I go landmark, what wheels should I upgrade to? (It goes a bit over me budget, 515 for everything except wheels.)