Rag Joint

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Just finished reading all of the information concerning this topic so here goes the questions.

1. Install both of the rubber ( rags) ? I agree that it should be that way but my instructions say with a coaster brake, just put the inside one on.

2. They sent self locking nuts but do most of ya put both on the nuts, lock washers and lock nuts?

This has turned into a challenge and I am gonna win. Really leaning to a hub adapter and sprocket. Better I know. Those coasters are ****. I sure know them in and out now. Just got to get some cone wrenches so I can get the wheel like it should be. What a @#@%$#%#$. No problem when I was a kid. lol thanks and will be watching. :-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
gphil,
There is a lot of bad information that comes in some kit instructions. Mounting the sprocket against the spokes is one of them. Use both rubbers, sandwiching the spokes between them and take your time to get the sprocket wobble free. You'll need to put a slight 'Z' bend in the coaster brake arm to clear the sprocket bolts and you might need to either open up the center hole in the sprocket or grind off the lip of the dust cap over the left side bearings.

As far as the locknuts and lock washers; yes, use them both. You'll just have added asurance against the bolts loosening.
The sprocket adapters currently available are very good products and make sprocket installation a snap if you have the bucks for them. The rag joints get a bad rap from people but I maintain that if installed correctly will give you many miles of troublefree riding.
Good luck. I hope this gives you some direction.
Tom

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Sure does my friend we think along the same lines, I choose to be lazy sometimes but that metal up against the spokes did not seem good at all. I have enlarged the hole some and ground the dust cap a little and getting it centered will be no problem. Just need to get those wrenches to get the correct tension on the bearings. Right now can't do it so either too loose or binding. By the way those fenders are very flimsy. Going to change out or reinforce some how with metal. Thanks. Hope to send pics soon via photo bucket.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Those coaster brakes are crazy huh !! I woke up way too early this morning and had nothing to do so I took one completely apart to see what was going on inside.... pretty ingenious how they work and all !!

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Yes, they are a piece of work, truly. I have found that they or this one at least is sort of weak. Under just pedaling, really have to push on it. Seems like my little Schwinn as a kid did better but I was a kid and not a heavy weight. Oh well.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Like 2door said, the rag joint is just fine as long as it is installed correctly, a Jillion of-em out there working great for a very long time, I have a bike pushing 1000 Miles, the rag joint has never been touched since the day I put it all together and is still in as good-a shape as the day I installed it.

The fancy adapters are very nice, easier and better in the long run I'm sure, but not a must have for these little china girl MB builds IMO.