newbie ready to go

GoldenMotor.com

SCOOT64

Dec 24, 2010
FL.ALABAMA
Hey everybody.Proud to be a member.Im trying to make the right choice of engine kit to buy.I was thinking of the Grubee race skyhawk angle fire.I figured that engine had deacent bearings,and tunable carb.Does anbody have any experince with this paticular engine?Im open to sugestions.Thank you.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum SCOOT64, glad you joined us.

Well its been asked a million times and a million times we dont know how to answer other then buy from a vendor who backs up there products. The lack of quality control and the fact that most engines only come from several factorys in China makes it too difficult to say one is better then the other.

I personally have had great luck with some Grubee motors. I have also had bad luck with Grubee. Same goes for every other motor I have used.

SCOOT64

Dec 24, 2010
FL.ALABAMA
Thank you for the reply Dave.Your exactly right,you can get good ones and bad ones of anything.Im going for it.Gotta start somewhere.thanks again

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Welcome,Scoot.Good choice.From what I have gathered from this site is alot of the newbie's problem's are self inflicted!
Yes these thing's do lack QC but that is why they are so cheap and so much fun.,If that's what get's your juice's flowing!
Some of the member's brag about how fast they got there MB up and running
and are on the Forum the next day complaining that their piece of crap kit is falling apart! Go figure!
Take your time,use your head,do it right,have fun with it!
Common sense goes a long way's! Kip.
[email protected]

SCOOT64

Dec 24, 2010
FL.ALABAMA
Thanks Kip,Im sure their will be some challanges.Im a firm believer in lock tight.would you suggest just mounting it on the bike and going from there?Or should some things be cheaked first QC wise?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
nice find, but i wonder why they're advertising 5-6 hp, a 66cc skyhawk gt5 only has 2.75, they also advertise the GT5 angle fire as a 5-6 hp set up, when clearly it is not. and i don't see any bolt on add ons getting a chinese 2 stroke anywhere in that range.

another option is what i just read here http://motorbicycling.com/f23/new-dax-gt50r-racing-motor-22837-15.html#post246702 thatsdax seems to be offering a pretty awesome friction drive system, if you don't mind running that type of set up, but you can't order it online, have to deal with duane directly i guess, and takes a while for shipping/handling, but he has video proof of it getting up to speed quite fast, and claims it weighs in at around 6lbs, my GT5s motor alone easily is over 20lbs and isn't rated for that much HP. seriously considering ordering one of these myself, i'll just sell off the grubee i have. AND another advantage is his is a true -49cc build making it totally legal in most states, technically our 66cc are oversized and therefore illegal.

just some stuff to think about.

Attachments

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Thanks Kip,Im sure their will be some challanges.Im a firm believer in lock tight.would you suggest just mounting it on the bike and going from there?Or should some things be cheaked first QC wise?
Check,clean,re-pack all your bearings,& raceies.Even if it's a new bike.
Expecially if it's a cheap bike.
I've found flaking chrome on the raceies and little grease on the bearings.
If your gonna run fenders beef up the mounts expecially the front.
Bicycledesigner.com sells some sturdy fender braces.
If it's a cruiser or has coaster brakes install some side pulls front and rear.
With a dual pull lever.Pirate Cycles sells kits.
Only use the coaster at slow speeds or panic stops with your side pulls.
They never blow-up when your stopped!
Good wheels are a very safe addition with 12 ga spokes.
I try to use nyloc nuts anywhere I can.,If it is going to require some kind of maintainence or replacement.
Make sure everything is tight,I green locktite every thing that is assembled on the bike,chain guard, seat hardware,anything that is held together with a fastener with threads.
If it's a cheap bike make sure that the rim strip that protects the tube from the spoke nuts is covering the spoke nuts.
I've found them folded over or off to the side leaving the tube exposed!

As far as the motor kit goes.
The best advice I can give you is build it how you are gonna ride it!
Before you mount something scrutinize it.How can you improve it to make it last.
If you build it to last it will,If you build it fast it won't! Kip.
[email protected]