stock fenders / reinforcing ?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hello, Had a few question if someone has thes types of stock fenders, I was searching the forum checking out ideas, some say take finders off. But i kinda like the big chrome fenders on my cruiser, Any how, I,m builing a Micargi GTS Cougar & have lke to know if i need to reinforce them ? I have seen the forum on using shrink on the struts , bolts & nylon nuts to replacing rivets. Has anyone had problems with these fenders? I see priratecycles have them on there Micargi builds but wonder if they had this problem? I guess it would be wise, you know better safe than sorry. xct2

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You got to dump the factory fender mounts...I just drilled out the rivets and got some 1/8 x 3/4 steel flat bar at home depot and bent and drilled up some new ones, good quality nuts and bolts with loc-tite.

Cheers

Edit..... there is a thread somewhere that's pretty detailed about doing this.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
What helped my fenders the most was installing a small L-bracket on the center mount to help the original center mount cope with the added stress. It mounts on the same bolt as the center mount (and front brake, if you have wheel brakes) and if the original mount went forward on the fender, I just let it there and ran the L-bracket pointed toward the rear. I drilled the fender and put a small bolt with a lock washer on it. Then, the two brackets (original and the new one) get tightened up under the same bolt through the front forks.

That doesn't mean that you don't have to have solid mounts for the rest of the fender though. I run one on the front and the rear of each fender. Having two mounts on each fender, plus the center mount really stiffens them up.