Can somone please recomend me a motor kit that won't break.

GoldenMotor.com

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I always had mechanical issues when i bought a bike kit back in 2007 and the worst was when the bolts that held the motor to the frame would just keep snapping.

Is there a bike kit more sturdy out that that simply wont break when i put it together?. One that may last 10 or so years before it faults instead of 1 or 2 months?.

Thanks everyone

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
pretty much ALL kits have cheap hardware! the best thing to do is simply back out one of every screw & bolt on the the thing and go to your local hardware store to find like grade5 replacements!! then use plenty of loctite on everything!

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I have seen some kits with thicker bolts, what are your thoughts about those?.

And is that what you did?, if so what are your results?. Btw Will it really last like 10 years or more if I bought grade5 bolts?, and if not how long would you predict they last before snapping if ever?.

What are Grade5?, what does that mean?.

Thanks

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I can't say anything about any other kits but I had the same problem with the stud snapping. I was riding home one day when all of a sudden the bike started vibrating badly. One of the rear studs broke. After that, I went to McMaster-Carr and ordered McMaster-Carr. Cut it down to size. While you're at it, order 90685A043. I've never had a problem since; and this was two years ago.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
I have seen some kits with thicker bolts, what are your thoughts about those?.

And is that what you did?, if so what are your results?. Btw Will it really last like 10 years or more if I bought grade5 bolts?, and if not how long would you predict they last before snapping if ever?.

What are Grade5?, what does that mean?.

Thanks
grading is a measurement of the metals strength/hardness, and yes that WILL make all the difference in the world! I've replaced everything 'cept the head bolts, which you shouldnt have a problem with as long as you get 'em tight but not overtightened! If I remember correct you should tighten to about 8 torque pounds( get em nice n snug-THEN STOP!)
P.S. all you need to replace to solve yer problem is the mounting bolts, but I think allen head machine screws look a lot nicer!

Attachments

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I would recommend checking out Sick Bike Parts website. They sell a lot of parts that will make your kit more reliable. I would at least recommend the hardware kit, plug, plug wire, carb o-ring, etc. With all of that you will have LESS problems. It seems like at first you have to work the bugs out and then you will have a more reliable engine. I did all of this and so far mine has been maintainace free. I also bought a sprocket adapter which will help with reliability of rims, spokes, chain, etc. Keep in mind these are "tinker toys", at least that is how I look at it.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
The first motor I used lasted about 3-4 months before one of the rear mounting bolts snapped out, so I tapped it out to 8mm, then I accidently threaded that, and if i went to 10mm, it wouldn't fit around my bike post.

My new engine hasn't even snapped a bolt. It's all about expereince.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I'm not an expert.....I've been riding my bicycles since I've been 5 (I'm 50 now) and up till last year-never considered having a motor. I've developed arthritis in both knees and did some research on what kind of kit would fit my needs.

For me, a Staton friction kit with a Mitsubishi TLE 43 really fits the bill. Probably one of the more expensive kits out there, but as with most things in life....you get what you pay for.