general mounting questions

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
The Stinger motor is in shipment as we speak. The bike I am mounting it on is a Schwinn Jaguar. Some time ago I replaced the cow horn bars with standard paper boy bars to give me more seat to bar room. Over the years I have had a WE motor on this and right now it is a peddle power beach ride. Neatness of the installation is of the upmost importance to me. What do you think of the idea of moving the 7 speed twist shifter to the left side of the handle bar and using both the clutch and front break levers on that side the right side would have the throttle and rear break lever. Somewhere on this already crowded handle bar I need to find space for the bell, speedo and a mirror. I really don't like seeing cables hanging all over the place. If the installation is not clean I wont enjoy it. I am a master machinist/tool & die maker, retired but still have that craftmanship attitude.

Jim C.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jim,
I have two Jags. They make a very good foundation for a motorized bicycle. Jags are a little short in the crotch and benefit from a lay-back seat post for comfort. 6 inches to the rear will provide you with a very comfy ride. I didn't replace the bars but flipped them over(upside down) and moved the twist shifter inboard and kept it on the right side. Because I never use the shifter, leave in second, I don't worry about easy access to it. The kit supplied throttle will mount easily if you move the shifter in from the factory location. One of my Jags has stock length bars the other I shortened by 3 inches and the shifter and throttle still work on the right bar. I've considered a dual pull brake lever but I've become so accustomed to having them on both sides that I don't feel the need to change. Keep us informed and post some photos of your completed Jaguar project. There are a number of Jag owners here who will have other ideas to share with you. What are you doing for the front engine mount? Like most cruiser frames it will require some form of extension due to the low curved down tube. Good luck, ride safe and have fun.
Tom

Last edited: