Solar powered electric chopper bike

GoldenMotor.com

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
Right off the bat im lost, as I always thought you needed a controller or a blocking diode to stop reverse charging? - charge going back into the panel from the battery.

I searched out an old post I made on another forums...

The Gotwind Forum • View topic - What type RESITOR thingy

Wouldn't 2 batteries = 24V blow up a 12 Volt panel? I know my mate blew up his battery charger the other week trying to charge my 36V electric bike battey pack with a 12V charger.

gotwind.org:Circuit

Regards
Tom

Regards
Tom
Yes a blocking diode is needed to prevent reverse charging however this is only needed if you buy the individual panel squares and build your own solar panel, soldering and all. Most solar panels come with a blocking diode built in. Charge controllers are not really needed if using SLA sealed lead acid batteries it is recommended if usiing lithium ion or lipo's. 1 12v solar panel will not be blown up by a 24v pack as long as diode protected however it will not charge. You have to have equal(actually slightly greater) amount of voltage to charge a battery. Think of it as pressure, if you have a pack of 24volts of pressure 12 volts is not enough pressure overpower the 24 volts and start to induce a flow of electrons into the battery. Use one 12v solar panel for every 12volts. If you take a voltage reading you will notice those "12 volt" solar panels actually put out about 14-18 volts in decent light.
you have 1 solar panel so far you mentioned and running 24 v battery so just get one more solar panel and wire it in series and you will be set to go solar using your trailer. Also if using a trailer I would even try throwing a 2nd battery in their since you can handle the extra weight and room now. You should get some really good range.

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
Well I did a weather test and it was a success! The middle solar panel is already rain proof but the side ones were not, I applied a small even bead of clear silicon adhesive along the seams and it is rain proof now. Also wrapped the connections in electrical tape. I rode to a buddies place and on the way home it was raining. Rode home no problem, good to know its an all weather bike really especially since we live in WA :)

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
Well a few more pics I wanted to post. On days when there is not much sun or if I just want to charge the batteries at night no problem! This is also a great solution to have your bike charged on solar panel but if you do not want the added benefit of charging as you ride so the bike has no solar panels on the bike itself. I have a 45 watt home solar kit charging a deep cycle marine battery which then powers an inverter so you get AC power to plug the charger into. My inverter is 400 watts and powers my charger no problem. Pics below, comments welcome.

Pic of the solar panel on my roof, then another of the charge controller then last is the pic of the charger charging battery from solar panel. I run an extension cord from the converter into the house so I dont have to go outside to use the free electricity generated. On a side note I also run my TV and other appliances on this to lower my power bill.

Attachments

Zyxel

Feb 10, 2011
Alberta, Alabama
Very nice bike! I like solar stuff , because they are green and pretty much universal (you can charge mobile phone , flash lights lap top...)
Yes that's true! Solar power is an environmentally friendly way to produce electricity. A typical 4 kW solar electric system will annually eliminate 10,000 lbs of CO2, 91 lbs of NO2, and 8 lbs of SO2 spewed into the environment. This is the equivalent to the pollution produced by driving a car 14,000 miles a year or the environmental benefit of planting 1.5 acres of trees. That's why no wonder that lot of people are paying so much attention into this these days.

Sherrielyn

Feb 28, 2013
Cantua Creek, CA
Nate, I am designing my solar set-up for a 48 state tour, please respond with the amp hours your system puts out.

My system will also charge cell phone, 2 camera batteries, and my wifi and computer gear, so I will definately nead more, but My solar panels will be the roof of my surly bill trailer which will haul my gear

n3glv

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
One other thing I forgot to mention that was asked by ZABAC70. No the bike does not pull to the right everything is centered that is just the appearance due to the angle of the shot. The solar panel set up weight about 4 pounds so is extremely light. The solar panels work in overcast as well so sunny weather is not really needed, just is ideal. The 2 on the side are rigid 12 volt 2 watt panels and the middle one is a flexible 12 v 6 watt panel. They all ride on aluminum supports attached by a main flex support to counter vibration. This bike rides extremely smooth, no vibration at all it really is fun to ride. I was out today fellas so keep an eye out in Auburn wA and wave if you see me this summer. Here are a few more pics that should clear up any questions ok. Thanks guys.
First let me say, I'm not trying to troll this forum.
Second, let me introduce you to a few electrical laws (spelled physics)
p=e*i or more simply put volts times ampres = watts
a 6watt panel @ 12v is 1/2A (500ma) the two 2w panels? around 160ma.
Since your three panels are a lowest common denominator of 2w, and you
don't say you have a 'solar charge controller' I question what even 8hrs in
serious sun will do for your lead acid packs. Look at your home charger,
I bet it's 2-3A. Btw a safe rate for lead acid is 1/10th capacity.
I used to charge @ 3a 24v on 20Ah of lead acid.
In the end, I wonder just how much you get from what I assume are harbor
frieght solar junk. .flg.

n3glv

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well a few more pics I wanted to post. On days when there is not much sun or if I just want to charge the batteries at night no problem! This is also a great solution to have your bike charged on solar panel but if you do not want the added benefit of charging as you ride so the bike has no solar panels on the bike itself. I have a 45 watt home solar kit charging a deep cycle marine battery which then powers an inverter so you get AC power to plug the charger into. My inverter is 400 watts and powers my charger no problem. Pics below, comments welcome.

Pic of the solar panel on my roof, then another of the charge controller then last is the pic of the charger charging battery from solar panel. I run an extension cord from the converter into the house so I dont have to go outside to use the free electricity generated. On a side note I also run my TV and other appliances on this to lower my power bill.
*cough*
My meter runs backward! (3kw on roofs, see attachment)