New Here, getting ideas

GoldenMotor.com

Retro Rob

Nov 4, 2009
Gettysburg Pa.
I keep finding myself coming back here, so I thought I would register. I'm getting ideas for a replica British bike of the World War One era. Not so much a boardtracker, but something a bit more upright. One you might find a Despatch rider using on the western front in 1914-1918. I've been collecting photos of early Douglas, Triumph model H, BSA etc. I'm open to ideas for frames and powerplant. Any help greatly appreciated. Rob

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rob,
Welcome to the forum. Your project sounds interesting. Unfortunately I can't offer much help in the area of the vintage bike but just wait; I'm sure you'll get replies from some who can. Several questions come to mind however. Are you looking at a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke power plant? Single speed or geared? Fat tires or thin road tires. I would think that the Husky, Worksman and a couple of other heavy built 'industrial' bikes would make a good foundation. There are a few WW II style military bikes that have been built by members but I don't recall ever seeing one like you're proposing. It might be helpful if you posted some pictures of those you mentioned. Please keep us posted on your build. And again, welcome to the best motorized bicycle forum available.
Tom

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Many of us here love the old bikes and motorcycles and will find your project of great interest. I second 2door in the request for photos of what you have in mind. With those images to stare at we would be in a better position to make suggestions.
SB