Womens Bike Motorized Bicycle Kit

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: Womens Bike MB Kit

I built one on a 24" schwinn and it worked fine with the addition of a broomstick on top to hold the gas tank.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

I forced a motor into a schwinn 24" girlie bike. Just had to put a broomstick on the top to hold the gas tank

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I forced a motor into a schwinn 24" girlie bike. Just had to put a broomstick on the top to hold the gas tank
Puleeze! Make that 'step through' bike. Some of us may be geezers, but we still have our pride, you know. Ha! That broomstick model sounds perfect for Halloween. Have a picture?
SB

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

SilverBear.. i just ordered a engine kit and i want to install it on my step thru bike. BUT i am a little confused on how to mount the engine and I saw in a earlier post you offered to give more details on how to do that, any chance you could help me out with some details on installing everything? Thanks so much!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

SilverBear.. i just ordered a engine kit and i want to install it on my step thru bike. BUT i am a little confused on how to mount the engine and I saw in a earlier post you offered to give more details on how to do that, any chance you could help me out with some details on installing everything? Thanks so much!
I'll give what help I can. First off, what is the bike? Not all bikes will accept an engine, men's or women's. When you are able to, please send a picture. Once we know what the bike is then we can go from there. Do you have some familiarity with wrenches, screwdrivers and such or is all this new to you? (Partly I don't want to over explain what you already know or on the other hand assume you know how to do something when actually you don't.) Our goal is to put that engine on a bike and for you to take off riding on it. You can be pretty sure it is going to take more than a couple of hours as some of the sellers claim. Do you have any friends who can help you if need be?Sometimes two heads are better than one and four hands is good, too. What is the engine kit?
What I don't know, others will. If we all work together you'll be riding around with a smile on your face pretty soon!
SB

Missmichelleb

Oct 29, 2009
Escondido, CA

Ok, i hope i sucessfully posted a picture with this message, i'm totally new to this forum so i'm a bit lost. So the pic thats attached is the bike i would like to attach the engine to. I am not super skilled with this type of thing, but i have some knowledge, more importantly i am having someone with much more experiance help me with this.. and by help i mean pretty much do it for me, ill probably be helping him. Initally i told him i would have clear intructions for him, and after ordering my engine kit i realize that my bike is a womens and not as simple as i made it sound, so basicly i am trying to give him as much info as i can. So any help you can give would be appreciated. Thank so much

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Ok, i hope i sucessfully posted a picture with this message, i'm totally new to this forum so i'm a bit lost. So the pic thats attached is the bike i would like to attach the engine to. I am not super skilled with this type of thing, but i have some knowledge, more importantly i am having someone with much more experiance help me with this.. and by help i mean pretty much do it for me, ill probably be helping him. Initally i told him i would have clear intructions for him, and after ordering my engine kit i realize that my bike is a womens and not as simple as i made it sound, so basicly i am trying to give him as much info as i can. So any help you can give would be appreciated. Thank so much
Your picture came through fine, however I don't want to hijack this thread so let's start a new one. Post it under "general discussion" and give another brief introduction of who you are and that you want some help in setting up a HT motor. Post the picture again under this new thread which will be yours. That way we won't be taking over somebody else's thread, OK? Also, it will open your build up to many more readers who will have an opportunity to make suggestions. I will contribute what I know and others will add their own thoughts. Together we'll guide you through the install. As soon as your new thread appears I'll post photos of two old Schwinn step through models so you will have some idea of what yours will look like.
Silverbear

Omari149

Jul 6, 2010
Chicago

those are some nice step through bikes, motorized or regular. I dont understand why some people think its weird for a man to ride a step through and a woman can a ride a step over model, because I've seen some step over bikes that were pink and flowery. I say the top bar on a bike whether its low or high doesnt mean anything anymore because i've seen alot of young straight men ride those models but the ones they were riding had masculine colors, so I go by colors to determine if its a mans bike or a girls bike. with that being said I want to convert my step through columbia commuter 3 speed into a motorized bike.

Last edited:

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky

works for me.. I've got arthritis in my hip and couldnt get on a "mens bike" to save my life so I'm suppose to give up the bike thing? LOL... dont think so
Hank

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I think you have to do what works for you. Some of the mindsets regarding mens and womens bikes are stupid. I started using step through models when I was more crippled and found it easier to get on and off. My engines were mounted in frame, so choosing one with a low bar was important or the engine sits too high. Also the whole idea was to be able to put my leg through the frame instead of over the back of the bike, so careful engine placement and using a longer throttle cable allowed room for stepping through without catching my foot on anything. A rack mount setup is perfect for ease in stepping through, but I'm stuck on the look of HT motors sitting there in the frame.
If a person wants to motorize an old cruiser, vintage womens bikes usually sell for a good bit less than the same year and make mens model. That's great if the bike is for you. If it is for resale it is not so great since most people still want a mens frame if it has a motor on it, so the chances of selling it for a profit are less. It costs just as much to buy wheels, etc. for the womens as for the mens. Just as much labor goes in to it. I will still have an interest in old Elgin step throughs as in the photos of the 1939 Elgin below because I think they are so classy looking, but most of my future builds are going to be mens models.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

SB, that side car is ingenius!
Thanks,
I was pretty happy with it, but never got the opportunity to really test it out since soon after that photo the bike and sidecar got packed into the back of my truck which a few days later burned to the ground. I think it would have worked out fine, maybe requiring some tweaking, but most things new do take some tinkering. The frame of the sidecar survived the fire and I still have it. Yesterday I picked up a damaged 17' aluminum canoe to turn into a sidecar body and will try to use that same frame from the kiddie trailer. At some point I want to mount a 26" electric hub wheel so that the sidecar is a pusher. The canoe will yield two sidecar bodies, I believe. Just this morning I've been staring at it to see where it needs to be cut off and how to go about it. I have step by step photos of that mounting setup if you're interested.
SB