Build 2 China Girl Motorized Bicycle Mongoose Beast

GoldenMotor.com

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Hey There All,

Ok Ok.. I saw the mongoose beast.. I searched for anyone who would dare put a motor on it. and no one did.. CCC i believe is working on one. I want to see if a hopped up chinagirl can work on it. with no cutting of the frame,in and no stretching If it does great, if not, it's going on my 2nd diamondback so no worries.

I'll pick up the bike early next week if all goes well..

Per you guys info, I'll be changing out the tires, crank, handles, and seat upfront.. and adding a 2nd muffler. Want it to be as quiet as it can be. With work and school, I should knock this out in a week to two..trk

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Re: Build 2 China Girl Mongoose Beast

I can tell you that youll probably have to custom weld a mounting plate that shifts the motor to the right in order for the chain line to work. Sounds like an awesome project!

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

Hey moto. You're right. I was looking at the Surley Pugsley, and how they did the frame with everything off center.. It put the tires in the right place. It's going to be fun. I called the bike shop guy who I work with, and he was like "A cheap $200 fat bike" it'll never work

Worse thing to tell me..

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I was interested until I looked at the overall bike and it doesn't seem roadworthy without a lot of upgrades.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

I was interested until I looked at the overall bike and it doesn't seem roadworthy without a lot of upgrades.
You do have to upgrade quite a bit.. It looks like it's going to be an expensive build. At least 1500 for me.

I believe I need:
New Cranks
Upgradged Chains,
Skyhawk Kit
New Surly Tires/Rims
Fabrication for Sproket..

I dunno.. I want to do it. But It's gotta survive 300 mile trips one way..

What are some more durable fat bikes that are not as expensive as the Surly's

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I was thinking a engine mounting plate like the schwinn choppers use that offsets the drive enough to fit. Simply weld the plate in the V.
Then it's just a matter of bending the cranks to clear the offset.
My main concern is carb clearance without frame mods.
I'm waiting for someone here to do one so I can learn painlessly...

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

Hey Maniac./All. What would be a good basic welder. I'm on a Harbor Freight Budget.
I've never welded before but I can read, so I can learn.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

The little flux core mig from HF is decent enough to learn and build with and the price is right.
I'm experienced so I prefer the stick buzzbox, but the fluxcore is easier to get decent welds with. Stick needs more technique to get good welds with a small 110ac welder.
The gas shielded mig is even better, but costs more to buy and use. Fluxcore is a good compromise between price and ease of use.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth

The little flux core mig from HF is decent enough to learn and build with and the price is right.
I'm experienced so I prefer the stick buzzbox, but the fluxcore is easier to get decent welds with. Stick needs more technique to get good welds with a small 110ac welder.
The gas shielded mig is even better, but costs more to buy and use. Fluxcore is a good compromise between price and ease of use.
Thanks so much.
So I did a quick search between Northern Tool and Harbor Frieght
What's the difference between these two

HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

NT
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=628575&gclid=CKKP_e7xhbkCFSJqMgodYGwAvw

I'm thinking leaning toward the NT because they have 1 year extra warranty. Learners break stuff :(

They both are generally in the same price bracket (sub 200)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I'm interessted in seeing how it goes, and do yourself a favor and get yourself a GTAW MIG that uses gas, the results will be a lot better on bike frames.

brokespoke

Sep 4, 2013
8100ft

I too bought a mongoose beast recently with the sole intention of putting a motor on it. I have been lurking the various forums to see if and how anyone has gone about it, with little results. My question for you all is this: would a jackshaft kit work on the beast if the jackshaft part was wider? It seems to me that if I can get power to that front crank ill be set. Anyone try this yet?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

I too bought a mongoose beast recently with the sole intention of putting a motor on it. I have been lurking the various forums to see if and how anyone has gone about it, with little results. My question for you all is this: would a jackshaft kit work on the beast if the jackshaft part was wider? It seems to me that if I can get power to that front crank ill be set. Anyone try this yet?
I vaguely remember seeing a pic of a China Girl in that Mongoose and
they cut the seat tube out so the motor would fit.

Please post a pic of your goose with a 66 cc motor in the frame?
thanks

felix2

Sep 2, 2013
Northern Nevada

Here's mine, been cruising around town a bunch. Lots of looks and attention and people asking Wtf...

Noticed this is an older thread. But if you're still thinking about doing this build, its worth it for the fun

Last edited: