Speedometers & Odometers

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've tried the search feature but don't see much about these two devices. I've also looked at a couple of cheapys at the bike stores but haven't seen anything with speed and milage. I recall seeing a thread somewhere about digital vs, analog and some talk about ignition interference with the digitals but I can't find that thread again.
What are you using for a speedo and are there ones out there with a built in odometer?
Any help would be appreciated. I've been logging milage based on known distances between points and how many times I travel that route. I have a Tom-Tom navigator but my bike is currently set up for 6 volt and I'm concerned about vibration and shock to that device. My wife said it could be a Christmas gift but I don't know where to tell her to find one. Help!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys.
I've been cruising ebay and there are a ton of those 5 and 6 dollar things. They all look alike and are probably made next door to where my engine was. I suppose for $5.00 even if it works for just a few weeks it would be better than guessing speed and distance everytime I go for a ride. It's snowing like the devil out there today so the bike is in the garage and I'm on this computer, keeping warm.
Thanks again.
Tom

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Thanks guys.
I've been cruising ebay and there are a ton of those 5 and 6 dollar things. They all look alike and are probably made next door to where my engine was. I suppose for $5.00 even if it works for just a few weeks it would be better than guessing speed and distance everytime I go for a ride. It's snowing like the devil out there today so the bike is in the garage and I'm on this computer, keeping warm.
Thanks again.
Tom
It's snowing there? Dang, no snow here. The south side of town has gotten a lot more snow in the last couple days than the north side where I'm at (a whopping 6mi from the S side)

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
I was hoping to get an analog speedo. Spookytooth has one, but it doesnt' look super solid.

Someone recommended looking for a motorcycle one for something more solid, but I haven't had much luck.

As far as interference goes with these digital ones, I think the wireless ones are especially prone to interference. I had one on my regular mountain bike, and it would go all wonky when I turned on my little L.e.d. blinky light. I didn't even try it on the Motorized bike.

I did try a digital that has a wire that runs to the "pick up" and it works fine, has speed and odometre functions in standard and in metric, as well as nifty features like average speed, a clock I can't set to save my life, and moderately incomprehensible instructions in 15 languages.

Well, to be precise, the instructions are in 15 languages, and I can only vouch for their incomprehensibility in 1 language -- Engrish.

;-)

Brenton

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have one of the Spookytooth speedometers but I have never used it. I compared the rpm scale vs the mph scale and figured that for them to both be correct you would have to be running something like a 32" wheel so I never trusted it.