Where to get parts REALLY CHEAP!

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
About a month ago I was looking for metal pieces to make motor mounts with.
I found the perfect pieces of metal.
Then I found piles of bikes and bike parts.

Where is this place?

It's a metal scrap yard.

I got a rear shock absorber spring for my regular full suspension mountain bike, practically new! I found the Kranked full suspension bike frame an employee there had stashed. (He reluctantly insisted it was fine, I could take it. (I am the customer) ) That was $5.00.
I left there a couple times with a few pieces of scrap they let me have free of charge!
Metal scrap yards, a great place to get metal, and bicycle parts @ 20 cents a pound.
The annoying part though is that employee, the one that watched me like a hawk lest I get the parts he wants.
He claims to build bikes for poor kids from the poor part of town (get out the violin), but really, I think he builds and sells.
I wasn't born that day.
So yeah, I had to deal with that, me the customer.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a neat idea. To tell you the truth, I would've figured that a scrap yard really isn't interested in selling bits and pieces to retail buyers. I would've thought that their customers would be foundries that melt down the the shredded steel for recycling.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I guess what I meant was that I'd imagined that if I went to a scrap yard and said "I want to buy a bike frame from your pile out there", that they'd have said "Go away. We got better things to do..".

If they'll deal with individuals like that, then I guess I'd better be careful. I know I could easily become a scrap yard junkie.......

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Be a good idea to bring in some cans for sale & then go oh WOW that's a bike frame yall aren't scrappin that are ya? Bet they'd say take it or sell it to ya for the weight after all they are in the recycling business.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
It's a neat idea. To tell you the truth, I would've figured that a scrap yard really isn't interested in selling bits and pieces to retail buyers. I would've thought that their customers would be foundries that melt down the the shredded steel for recycling.
you think they won't sell you stuff at 2x or more what they will get for it otherwise??

bought a $300 filing cabinet from a local yard for $15 its worth $2 by scrap weight

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
"I want to buy a bike frame from your pile out there", that they'd have said "Go away. We got better things to do..".
Just tell them you need a few pieces of metal for a project, they may just tell you to go out back and fill your boots.

If they'll deal with individuals like that, then I guess I'd better be careful. I know I could easily become a scrap yard junkie.......
Haven't been there in a while, but, I tell ya, you feel like a kid in a candy store!
You need a set of front shocks, they are there, tires, rims, frames etc.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I used to loose time just wandering around in the local scrap yard, ideas swimming around in my mind for what and how I could re-purpose things. They had everything there, from complete golf carts, auto parts, scuba tanks, medical equipment and everything in between. They even had spent ammunition cartridges of all calibers that reloaders would buy. I always wondered where those came from...

The county did an eminent domain on their property to construct a freeway.
The scrap yard was forced to close. The county lost a great place, so very sad indeed. :(
It was there for some 40 years.