Chain too tight

GoldenMotor.com

admhi

Apr 22, 2012
Kamloops
hello, recently i bought my engine from motorizedbicycle.ca, and i needed to take 8 links from my chain and still needed to take more, so i took more 2 links but now is to tight, i even can use the tensioner, it is any problem ? the chain will be looser when i start ride ?, i am trying to find another masterlink so i can put 1 link back, but aparently is hard to find the masterlink for the #415 chain., can i ride the bike with the chain tight or not ?

admhi

Apr 22, 2012
Kamloops
actually when i took 8 linksstill soo long that even with the tensioner was good, so i took more 2 links, and i want put back more 1 link, but i dont have a extra masterlink, or i dont have any idea how to put back, i just cut the chain using a hammer and a punch, if i put the bolts back in a link and hammer it may works ?

admhi

Apr 22, 2012
Kamloops
ok, today i will see if i can found the master link for #41,#415 or #42 i will bring a peace of chain to see if fits . if yes i will post on the forum about it, thanks for the help man, but you think if i start riding the chain will start loosing ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
ok, today i will see if i can found the master link for #41,#415 or #42 i will bring a peace of chain to see if fits . if yes i will post on the forum about it, thanks for the help man, but you think if i start riding the chain will start loosing ?
Typically the kit supplied #415 chains wear (stretch) quickly in the first few miles and need to be adjusted. Just take it slow and don't go for top speed until the chain starts to wear in a little.

I'm assuming your chain/sprocket alignment is good. To get away with a chain that is a little too tight you'll need those sprockets exactly aligned.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I wouldn't run it with the chain too tight. You can damage the wheel bearings and also the countershaft bearing.

Too tight is -0- freeplay. If you have at least a little bit of play you should be o.k. for now. It may loosen up a small amount, but better safe than sorry.

admhi

Apr 22, 2012
Kamloops
they are alingned but they was to tight that was a problem to take the master link off and open the chain, anyways i will give a look on a atv,bike store and tractor store if i dont find i will put the chain back and ride for few miles

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Most hardware store carry drive chain and master links . Ace and true value if well stocked should have them . As was stated before if the chain not right don't ride it . Have fun . Dan

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Most hardware store carry drive chain and master links . Ace and true value if well stocked should have them . As was stated before if the chain not right don't ride it . Have fun . Dan
I'm with them. Patience is a virtue. Impatience gets expensive. Wait until you can loosen the chain a bit before you ride.

admhi

Apr 22, 2012
Kamloops
i bought the master links, i bought a master link for the chain #415H and fits perfect, my bike is running now :)), any tricks for earn more horsepower ?, where i live have alot of hills so .