First build (Worksman)

GoldenMotor.com

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Ok so I started out collecting Schwinn Stingrays, Krates, then I moved up to middle weights. I then built a customized balloon tire Schwinn, thats when I realized I liked the smooth ride of 26 X 2.125 tires the only bad part of riding those big clunkers is they weigh a ton (ahhhh good old Chicago steel). So when I picked up this Worksman bike I decided to try to motorize it and found this site.
So here is where I am with this build...It's a Worksman (what I believe is a M2600 frame). It came with both front and rear drum brakes which I thought was great for stopping power, but sadly I don't think I will be able to use the rear wheel with the drum without using a jackshaft/shift kit or drilling the rear hub to install one of those moped sprockets that seem to fit perfect on the rear drum.....but I don't want to ruin the rear hub and I'm not too sure about it holding up to the torgue of the engine. So I ordered a single speed coaster brake wheel from Worksman to be able to use the sprocket adapter that came with the 2 stroke Chinagirl engine (or I can buy one of SportscarPat's sprocket adapters down the road). I mounted the engine onto the frame and learned two things from other posts here 1.it's going to be a tight fit (needed to buy an offset intake manifold for the carb). 2. in order to use the existing chainguard I would need to use one of those front engine mounts made by Sick Bike Parts (which seems to fit real well). I picked up a vintage saddle that I plan on restoring to use for this build to give it a little character and because I just love those old saddles with the long springs. I've been thinking....I've had this engine for about a month waiting for these parts so the engine will fit correctly on this frame......and I don't even know if it's works! Oh well one step at a time. Once I get the new rear wheel from Worksman I will be able to complete the set up to at least see if it runs (and if it doesn't i'm sure the wealth of knowledge here will assist). Here are a few photos so far and thanks to the Forum members who have helped.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/schwinncollection/Worksman/

Last edited:

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Nice build.......I love Worksman bikes.....You mentioned that you had a sproket adapter that had come with the china girl......or you would order an adapter......I dont see the adpter on your rear wheel did you decide to modify the hub you had to bolt on a sproket?

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Nice build.......I love Worksman bikes.....You mentioned that you had a sproket adapter that had come with the china girl......or you would order an adapter......I dont see the adpter on your rear wheel did you decide to modify the hub you had to bolt on a sproket?
I have not installed the 9 hole sprocket that came with the china girl motor yet I am waiting for the wheel that I ordered from Worksman (with a coaster brake hub). The one in the photos on the rear drum is a moped sprocket I was considering attaching.

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Question: I installed the carburetor and connected the throttle control/cable which I mounted on the handle bars. The cable does not seem to move enough when I use the throttle, it's not a smooth motion, it moves about a half inch when I twist the throttle then it becomes very hard to twist. I don't want to force it in fear of snapping it. Is this normal?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Make sure you have no tight turns, loops or bends in your cable. Pull the carb off and check, how far does the barrel move when you twist the throttle?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Tight turns that what it sounds like to Me. Say.... what are you going to do with your old Worksman wheel ? If its going to be for sale I may be interested in it. PM Me.

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Make sure you have no tight turns, loops or bends in your cable. Pull the carb off and check, how far does the barrel move when you twist the throttle?
Yep.....that was it. I only had one ziptie holding it to the frame but it must have been too tight. Thanks!

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Hows Your build going?
Throttle installed.
Clutch installed.
Front drum brake lever installed on throttle side (wanted to install on clutch side but the two levers on the one side didn't seem to go...i'll try it this way and move later if it doesn't feel right).
Gas tank, fuel petcock (with teflon tape), fuel filter installed. Going to have to use some double sided tape to install under the gas tank.. it moves aound and don't want to over tighten the nuts .....don't need any leaks(^).
Coil and spark plug installed (don't have a torque wrench I'll just be careful and try not to over tighten).
Still awaiting on the Worksman CB wheel (good thing i'm not in a rush because they sure take their time in building wheels week 3 and counting but they assured me it went out friday).
Also working on restoring a long spring saddle (too cold to paint it all parts wire brushed and ready to be primed/painted. I did soak/stretch a nice piece of leather over the seat pan we'll see how it comes out after it dries).

will add a few new photos shortly.

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Received the Worksman coaster brake wheel and attempted to installed the rag joint and sprocket (learned that I needed to grind down the dust cover to get the sprocket to sit properly on the hub....I found that thread and it worked) funny thing about the three half moon backing plates they seem to overlap by about 1/8 -1/4 of an inch????...ok what am I doing wrong? I removed the sprocket and put it all together off the wheel to get a better look (see photo) but they still overlap. AM I going to have to grind down each one in order for it to fit properly?
**I had to use my old camera to get smaller size photos to post directly onto the thread.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Received the Worksman coaster brake wheel and attempted to installed the rag joint and sprocket (learned that I needed to grind down the dust cover to get the sprocket to sit properly on the hub....I found that thread and it worked) funny thing about the three half moon backing plates they seem to overlap by about 1/8 -1/4 of an inch????...ok what am I doing wrong? I removed the sprocket and put it all together off the wheel to get a better look (see photo) but they still overlap. AM I going to have to grind down each one in order for it to fit properly?
**I had to use my old camera to get smaller size photos to post directly onto the thread.
When you put them on the wheel and start the tightening sequence they will butt together with a little prodding from a screw driver.

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
1.Sprocket installed (the proding with the screw driver worked). I spun the wheel and checked to see if it was centered (might be 1/16 - 1/8" movement side to side....very slight. Very hard to tell if any top to bottom movement if any)
2.Chain and tensioner pulley installed adjusted chain so only about 1/2" - 3/4" play in the chain. Removed spark plug and tried to turn the rear wheel.....oh man is that tight! Is that normal??? I thought maybe it had something to do with the clutch but it made no difference if the clutch was in the in/released position (newbie here please bear with me for the non technical descriptions) I did not try to move it too much until I checked the wealth of knowledge here first.

Last edited:

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
I had some free time today and did some work on the saddle for this build (followed fellow forum member Silverbear's instructions on adhearing the cusion material to the pan) still waiting on the leather to complete it. Wire attachment to hand drill to remove the rust from metal parts, primed then painted black (all over 3 day period) pretty happy with the results so far, just too cold to do anything in the garage on the rest of the bike.

Attachments

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Suggestions on creating some space between the rear tire and the chain? The chain occasionally rubs slightly against the rear tire. I've tried adjusting the motor on the frame, the rear wheel and the adjusting wheel but it still rubs.

Attachments