Straight plug engines are better than angle plug engines

GoldenMotor.com

superherg

May 31, 2011
nampa idaho
bingo! i was wondering the same thing cuz strait plugs are the norm great post! hey any one know where i can find a RED springer seat saw one on the pirate sight but outta stock and bout impossible to talk to any one there

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just fired up a brand new Grubee slant head yesterday. Runs nice and smooth compared to my previous Grubee slant head. I know, the carb is the reason, right? I don't think so as the carb is from the previous engine and I didn't change a thing on it. Maybe this newer production Grubee slant has lower compression.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just fired up a brand new Grubee slant head yesterday. Runs nice and smooth compared to my previous Grubee slant head. I know, the carb is the reason, right? I don't think so as the carb is from the previous engine and I didn't change a thing on it. Maybe this newer production Grubee slant has lower compression.
Or maybe it's just an overall better balanced engine....

The slant H. engine I have on my Karaoke is a very smooth running engine compared to the straight plug H. engine I put a slant head on, I also milled the slant head down quite a bit to increase the compression even more than it would have been with just the stock configuration of the heads sealing surface, this is where it seems I messed up, because that engine developed a huge amount of vibration after doing that mod.

I plan to work the straight plug head down just a tad and then use it back on the engine I took it off of, it should be back to good after that or at least that is my hope.

Peace, Shan

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I took putty and put on top of a piston then lowered it down to see how much I could mill the head to raise compression. Same gas less room, more bang. Not enough to even bother with. They are what they are. Expansion chamber will raise the band, but gearing is the key (c)

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Do you want more clearance, or do you need more clearance?

Personally, I would recommend using a slant only if you NEED more clearance. If the piston does in fact hit the head, use two head gaskets.