MBA Motors Mortorized Mountain Bike Anyone?? HELP??? HELP.....

GoldenMotor.com

calpolymike

Oct 22, 2011
cal poly pomona
ive searched here and nobody seems to have one.

anyone??? anyone??

has battery, button start, grip throttle, transmission for nuteral, gas tank
incorporated in the frame. suspension.

Anyhow, the problem is that it has no torque to go up hill....its great going
flat, and some grade, but where I live now...its not cutting it.

can anyone help??

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Firstly, you need to pedal-assist, but your chainring sprocket is too small. If you can install a larger chainring sprocket, that'd help.

Methinks you have a Mitsubishi clone w/electric starter and pocket bike tranny. Any specs on the engine and sprockets? What size engine chain is that? My first impression is that you could climb hills better if you change your gearing. However, your speed would decrease.

What are you expecting your bike to do?:-||

calpolymike

Oct 22, 2011
cal poly pomona
not a kit...the bike was built from cad drawings.

yes mba motors, however, they are out of business. The website has been down for
quiet a while now. I shoulda saved the info on the website beforehand. but yah....of course
I didnt.

i dont even have the manual

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
How fast is it on flat ground?

How fast is it going uphill?

How fast would you like it to go, on flat ground or uphill?

Off the top of my head, you need a bigger driven sprocket, smaller drive sprocket, or a more powerful engine.

And a larger chainring sprocket for pedal assist.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
JMO, 35mph+ on flat ground is EXCELLENT!

To improve this bike's performance, you must be willing and able to "re-engineer" the drive system. To help you, the members here need more input, as to the size of the drive pulley and driven pulley. I am presuming that you have a 5:1 pocketbike/scooter gearbox on the engine.

There are always drawbacks when modifying anything. If you alter the gearing, low speed performance will increase, but top speed will suffer. The engine will also be revving higher. Unsure if your engine can handle the added stress.

Exactly what engine do you have?

calpolymike

Oct 22, 2011
cal poly pomona
Actually belt drive is the shizzits, quieter and more efficient.
really..

hmm. news to mee....

im thinking the belt is slipping, or perhaps something inside the tranny.

it can sit idle, when i turn it on with the starter button. Idle as long as I
please, then i sometimes pedal start it. Then give it gave, or just give it
gas from the jump.

so yeah. im thinking it has some sort of expanding tranny....like on a moped
perhaps. I dunno, i never taken it apart or have the mechanical ability to do so.

for some reason, i could be easily mistaken. But i remember the engine being
a 65cc or 80cc engine. i dunno...howver i dont think its a 50 for shure.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The majority of engines that look like yours are 47cc or less. The only engine I've seen with an electric starter is a Mitsubishi TLE43 "clone". I'm presuming that this is your engine, and it produces 2hp.

Your engine has a centrifugal clutch. It allows the bike to sit at a stop with the engine idling.

Actually, you seem to be getting EXCELLENT performance from your MB. When geared for flat ground, ALL engines your size have limited hillclimbing performance. JMO, the simplest and cheapest way to improve hillclimbing is to install a larger chainring sprocket and pedal-assist.

It's hard to help you if you don't provide specs. :-||

Last edited:

calpolymike

Oct 22, 2011
cal poly pomona
thanks for your feedback, i appreciate it.

i wish i had specs, i really do.

ill take better pics today, and post them up. as im heading to that area today.

And you are right, its great on flat and some grade. But a steep hill for over 1/2 a mile.
forget it.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Monster I think sells a clone w/electric start that is 52cc I think, almost bought one while ago but the reviews were mixed on quality on this forum so I nixed that idea.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
QUOTE=calpolymike;336507]thanks for your feedback, i appreciate it.

i wish i had specs, i really do.

ill take better pics today, and post them up. as im heading to that area today.

And you are right, its great on flat and some grade. But a steep hill for over 1/2 a mile.
forget it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, do this so we can help you:

Take off the belt cover and measure the pulley.

Measure the large pulley. If difficult to measure across, measure the circumference of the pulley.

Even the more powerful weed-whacker type engines have difficulty climbing hills. All my engines, even my 4.5 GP460 engine were awesome on the flats on friction drive. If I had a running start @ 30mph, a small hill was not a problem. Without a headstart, forget it. Speed would drop below 10mph, even with pedal-assist.

Without a shift kit, you definitely need to pedal-assist. With my shift kit and a powerful engine, hills are still an issue, but not as bad as single-speed belt/chain/friction drive.

Last edited: