Are friends electric?

GoldenMotor.com

sparky

Aug 2, 2008
Hello, Pip-Pip and all that.
I am a motorcycle/bike rider from the deep Fens of Eastern England (Grunty Fen, to be precise-nice work our forefathers) and am deeply pleased to find this excellent site.
I have (sadly) come into a small amount of money, enough I believe to create a practical two person lightweight electric/bipedal/quadrapedal touring outfit with an Engineer friend and I would like to discuss the issues I will run up against with people who, as far as I can make out have been doing it for years.

Looking forward to meeting you all

sparky

sparky

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the hello.
I am hoping to base my plans around a light weight "Morgan" style chassis layout using Old Guy electric scooter, mountain bike parts and so on.
I am still finding out about the legal situation, although there seems to be no obvious registration/ type approval requirements regarding "primarily" human powered vehicles.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to the Forum Sparky! I will give you all the help I can, although some of my ideas did not work very well, The Hindenburg, RMS Titanic,...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome sparky. sounds like a great project. only problem i had with my electric bicycle was power. it was a very inexpensive on and i imagine their is better out their. in the last 10 years i know that batteries have made big advancements in weight and power but they are still pricey. glad to have you with us and look forward to hearing about your progress
:ride2:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Greetings Sparky,

I have a project on the drawing board to use an electric front wheel motor for my next build. It will be interesting to learn from your experience and read your progress post from the UK. I'm especially interesting to learn about batteries
and the recharging nature of the batteries used in this application. If someone had a small enough generator to carry onboard, could the batteries be charged while under way ?

When you have your project complete and are satisfied it may be interesting to write it up in the BBC H2G2 project. ;)

These are questions I've been pondering.

eDJ

sparky

Aug 2, 2008
Greetings Sparky,

I have a project on the drawing board to use an electric front wheel motor for my next build. It will be interesting to learn from your experience and read your progress post from the UK. I'm especially interesting to learn about batteries
and the recharging nature of the batteries used in this application. If someone had a small enough generator to carry onboard, could the batteries be charged while under way ?

When you have your project complete and are satisfied it may be interesting to write it up in the BBC H2G2 project. ;)

These are questions I've been pondering.

eDJ
A 50 mile range would be optimal. I do intend to research and to spend seriously on batteries. Hub centre dynamos will be used to take advantage of declines and solar for what it's worth. we are considering a lightweight trailer that could take extra batteries.
I thought of a 33cc charging engine running a dynamo but Hairy, my engineer friend said the output would be negligible. If it came to that, I would be better off putting my 2000watt Honda suitcase generator on the trailer (which has not been ruled out).