Alternatives to Jim's Sprocket Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Talked to Manic:-|| Mechanic's shop today and to my dismay found out that the sprocket adapter won't work on my Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Hub. I am disappointed, since I really wanted to use Jim's adapter.

To that end, does anybody know of any alternatives? I don't want to use the spoke kit that came with the engine.

Thanks.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You could try livefastmotors, but not sure. Isn't that hub a large O.D., like 3-4"? I know livefast sells sprocket adapters for either coaster brakes or multi-speed bikes and also can be ground a bit if they need to be resized. But if it's one of those larger hubs, you may have to try and bribe someone to make one.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Talked to Manic:-|| Mechanic's shop today and to my dismay found out that the sprocket adapter won't work on my Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Hub. I am disappointed, since I really wanted to use Jim's adapter.

To that end, does anybody know of any alternatives? I don't want to use the spoke kit that came with the engine.

Thanks.
I'm confused? Are you just using the Nexus 3 speed hub for pedaling, and not using a jackshaft?
Also I dont think you would be able to use the kit sprocket adaptor with that large of a hub?

John

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Get the shifter kit... You'll maximize your hub's abilities... :) I have a Shimano Alfine, with a shifter kit... :)

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I hate to bust your bubble but Jim is doing a sprocket for my Felt MP and it has a nexus three speed. And at first there was a little confusion but after sending photos to him he is now building my sprocket and adapter. You should give him a call first thing Monday because he is doing mine on Tuesday. Hope this helped

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Terry,

This totally confounds me; the person I talked to told me she they had a nexus 3 speed and she said it would not be possible for Jim to make the adapter & sprocket for it. Unfortunately, I have already ordered the clamshell adapter.

Wish someone at jim's would have checked with him, before telling me that nothing could be done; I would definitely perferred his adapter & sprocket kit.

Damn.

Thanks for the heads up.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
$35 to have your wheel re lace plus the cost of a new hub that would be why. When all you have to do is speak to jim him self problem solved

Last edited:

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Gene,

Got the clamshell adapter (good product), howver, the adapter fits up to 1.5 inch hub, the MP Felt hub is 2 inches.

That was going to be my next step if Jim can't make the adapter (the adapter&sprocket are less labor & cost intensive than changing out the hub). Sounds like Terry and Jim have worked out a solution; and I going to place the order Monday for the set.

Looking forward to installing the adapter & sprocket and taking this baby for a ride.

Thanks for your advice.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
$35 to have your wheel re lace plus the cost of a new hub that would be why. When all you have to do is speak to jim him self problem solved
Yea well not every hub is able to have an adapter made for it so my question is even more basic
we all ride at speeds not designed for bicycle bearings and hubs and nobody is asking Jim to make a standard hub with tapered roller bearings. For my physical safety and drastic improvement in reliability whats 35 bucks to re-lace a wheel? I would buy a hub would you?

And if you had a good motor who needs a 3 speed anyway.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Do motor cycles have tapered bearings,?I haven't taken one of them apart,,,I figured husky heavy duty wheels would have heavy duty bearings.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Gentlemen,

Hopefully the problem will be solved. I sent Jim a e-mail tonite, requesting he machine a set for me; since he is already doing one for Terry. I am sure that his shop assistant did not know about the work around for Terry's hub, when we spoke last Thrusday.

We all can agree that Jim's setup is far superior and economical to relacing & installing a new hub.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Do motor cycles have tapered bearings,?I haven't taken one of them apart,,,I figured husky heavy duty wheels would have heavy duty bearings.
Pre 99 Harleys had tapered roller bearings. In 2000 the design changed to a sealed bearing pressed in the hub. The improvement was it eliminated 10,000 mile wheel bearing cleaning and re packing. The hubs we ride on suck. The ball bearings and the races are pretty crappy. The go fast boys around here aught to be concerned.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I agree that it is a waste but there is no shift kit available for the 4G T Belt yet so this is only temporary. As soon as one is on the market and I can afford one I am getting a shift kit. 2Dawgs you have to speak to Jim him self or the order will get messed up so you better call Jim ASAP if you want to get the right adapter. Just speaking from experience I emailed Jim with all the info needed but he is swamped with emails and orders so he dose not have the time to read the emails that is why you need to call him.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
And like they said, Jim is swamped so be very patient. I have bugged the crap out of him and I know he is doing his best to get all of his orders caught up but I also realize that his products are well worth the wait. I'm the worlds worst when it comes to patience and Jim probably realizes that now. Simple fact is, you cannot build quality builds without Jims products, end of story.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Folks,

Just got off the phone with Karen from Jim's shop and she said that there is a misunderstanding; Jim can not make an adapter for the Shimano Nexus 3 Speed hub.

So, I am going to buy the Shimano C-110E hub and get my wheel relaced and order Jim's adapter & sprocket setup. Problem adddressed.

Thanks to everyone for their much needed advice and help.

Can't wait to put this bike together and ride; even with the setbacks doing this build is a hoot.

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
Workman has a wheel with the cb110e hub 11 gauge spokes clincher rim 74.99 plus shipping number 4136a. If that is what your looking at. You have to fish around on there site to find replacement parts list. I have two one on each of my 4 stroke bikes. One has Jims adapter and sprocket.