A 1938 Hiawatha named Orange Peel

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
This 1938 Hiawatha named Orange Peel (OP) was discovered on CL forsale in Seatle. It was sometime in late sumer of 2011 and priced at $100. The call and the drive to West Seattle from Tacoma. As always turned around a few times in lower Seattle finally finding my mark; wow what a collector of stuff?

Begging the question where does the collector stop and the hoarder begin? Seller mentioned he was trying to make space and some stuff had to go. I wondered; selling off one bike going help?

This upscale home looked from my vantage point to be stuffed to the rafters. Like something you would expect to see in TV. As I started to peer around I could see epic bike/s part/s in the heaps. Pointing to a JC Higgins and stepping forward I could see the man start to become uneasy so I stepped back. I paid the man for my prize and left happy he let go of something and that something was now all mine!

The bike had no fenders. No spring forks. No seat and the wheels were not serviceable. The tires and tubes were however new. All the chrome bits had been spray painted silver. No concern as they are going to the side.

The B&W fenders were won on eBay. $38 plus shipping total. $58

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Re: A 1938 Hiawatha named Orange Peel (OP)

Wide three piece crank set. These kits are sold in a two part kit or as one complete set. If you are converting and old bike like this you need both or the 'full' set. $60 for the full set. Runing with the pedals that were on OP when she was purchased.

Complete set 3 piece crank and conversion $60 plus shipping. A weeks worth of parts boxes sits by the door. Parts for this build and for Project Puma Twin arriving now daily.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Fabricating the engine mounting plate. The plate was a 4' piece of boxed steel I had cut and purchased locally for about $44 with tax. This was then split down its length with a jigsaw yielding 8' of engine mounting plate.

Note: Third picture shows a pair of blue Cleveland Welding pre war Shock Masters. EBay win $138 plus shipping.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
The steel parts and paint in my shop are 50f or less during the winter. Rattle can is warmed in a hot water bath to bring to warm. The oven is set to 170f. Parts are cleaned with a solvent. The clean parts are warmed in the oven for 15min. Parts are then painted while warm with warm paint. The paint sticks, it does not run as easy. The parts are then set in the 170f oven for 30min.

19mm carb purchased online with free freight $20.48. The intake was fabricated. Air Filter eBay seller $7.99.

Note: The kitchen oven vents directly outside of the house. There is little or no smell.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Test fit conversion headset to modern mountain bike parts. This puts the bars out in front over the wheel. This lengthens the riding position helping to create the lay down look.

A drimmel is used to widen the truss rods for the large hub front brake.

Hub $59.
Custom cut 12g 234mm spokes w/brass nipples from holmeshobbies $44

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Everyone should know this sproket setup is from Pat of Sportsman Flyer. This is the third setup I have used and I like it as much as I do the first! Quality.

Sportsmanflyer 56t sproket and hub adaptor $90

Fourm member Sledge is seen lacing a wheel for the first time. If you look behind him you can see a lap top where we were following a youtube instructional video. Sledge is seen grinding the tips off a few bothersome spokes.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Sorting where the mounting holes need to be drilled.

Engine mounted. Orange cloth spark plug wire eBay seller 6' $8. The brass end cap was also found on eBay $5. AGK jackshaft $135. The tires used in this build found on CL $20 for the pair w/tubes.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
The factory position seat post has to go! Testing the seat position/s. Cutting the post back. Fiting to fender support.The cost here is shop materials. Nuts and bolts from scrap bucket on hand.

The seat used here was purchased for $40 from a junk store.

Attachments

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Another Nice build. I'm running a Gx160 carb on mine.Could you let me know the model and where you purchased your carb.Also interested how these engines run with out a shift kit.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Another Nice build. I'm running a Gx160 carb on mine.Could you let me know the model and where you purchased your carb.Also interested how these engines run with out a shift kit.
eBay
Price: FREE FREIGHT

US $20.48
Carb 125cc 110cc 90cc 70cc 50cc Carburetor PZ19 Taotao Roketa SunL Kazuma Peace
More than 10 available / 214 sold
Seller :
partsfox2009 (9919)

99.4% Positive feedback

FREE Standard Shipping | See details
Item location: Dallas, Texas, United States
Ships to: United States

Note: You can see the brass fitting that cost $5 on the end of the Orange cloth plug wire.

Attachments

Last edited:

Deiseldave

Dec 8, 2012
Warren, PA
looking at what ur doing , I think I get the concept of the 4 stroke being mounted , just don't know how much more id have to spend for all the other parts to make it work .

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
OOOH! Thats gonna be a humperthumper! Just guessing by the rear sprocket youll be able to climb some hills if they get in your way. Cant wait to see what you do for an exhaust. Nice touch with the orange retro plug wire :) and the fender trim is fantastic.